WWYD

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the opportunity to buy 20 electric piano keyboards at auction. They were in unknown condition. Three makers I saw were Korg, Roland, and Yamaha. About half on them had covers on them and couldnt see makes. I went up to $600 and then let it go. The guy I was bidding against got them for $620.

Should I have kept going? What would you have paid for them? On ebay, those brands sell for $100-$300 a piece. This is one of those deals I'm going to be battling with for the next month.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bid way higher than I would have. It's a big gamble. What are they worth in non working condition?

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strongly believe they were all working or else they would have been trashed.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to go with your gut feeling. You probably did the right thing. Your bid was up to $30 each. You just never know...could've made a lot of money or you could've broke even or lost $. I say stay with your gut feeling. :). I guess you will never know if you did the right thing unless you know the guy that won them and find out what they were.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 2Minn. The real kicker is that they are on my way home from work. I tried to factor that in too which was one of the reasons I'm questioning myself and bid so much. Plus I always think what does the other guy know that he's bidding this much.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he might of had a music store to sell them in

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus I always think what does the other guy know that he's bidding this much.

He may be that "Jarrod" type that just can't let anyone outbid him. Or, he may have just been trying to get you to bid higher like that "Hester" type.

(and after you dropped out he was kicking himeself all the way home for falling into his own trap) ;)

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He may be that "Jarrod" type that just can't let anyone outbid him. Or, he may have just been trying to get you to bid higher like that "Hester" type.

And here I was thinking I was Mark with my man purse throwing $600 around. :)

It's funny because one part of me wants it to be garbage so I feel better but the other part hopes it's a friggin awesome score because that guy might be just another treasure hunter like us.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Bidders at live auctions will feel like they have an investment in the bid. You had nothing invested, unless you won it. I've kicked myself over a couple items I wish I had won at auctions. however, it wasn't about the money. It was cause they were way cool once in a lifetime items. I mean how many times in your life will you come across a mint condition authentic bedouin tent table with folding tray and olive wood stand. And, I'd already spent my money for the night. So, I laugh about it and don't look back, too much. The antique guy next to me didn't know what it was. Once I told him he bid, won it, and it made his night.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Imo. What did I miss out on? Is better than, What have I done? That's the pickers life. You'll get em next time...

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The antique guy next to me didn't know what it was. Once I told him he bid, won it, and it made his night.

I hate that feeling when you plan on bidding on something and the guy next to you asks what it is. Then you say, I don't know. Then proceed to bid on an item that you supposedly don't know what it is.

I always have a cut off number in mind before I make my first bid. Just think about how hard they are to ship, how much time you would spend testing them out. How 30 keyboards probably came from a school and had a hard life.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been burned by electronics before. So many things can go wrong. With a keyboard, it might power up and everything works fine except... one key makes a funny sound or doesn't play at all. So now the whole keyboard is basically worthless. I think you did right by bailing out when you did. Personally, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near as high as $600 but then I am paranoid of electronics.

Dirt Devil

Jul 29, 2005
The Burgh
Do not lose any sleep over missing this deal. Keyboards can have a lot of problems after they get older. Plus packing and shipping them can be tough also.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not lose any sleep over missing this deal. Keyboards can have a lot of problems after they get older. Plus packing and shipping them can be tough also.

Agreed. I bought a very nice full sized Yama ha at the Collingswood flea market in NJ. It was on when I bought it and seemed to work well. Within a few days it developed a bad board which cost almost 200 to fix.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think I was counting my profits on it before I bought it. My thinking for going up to $600 was that I believed that I could sell them for at least twenty to fourty bucks a piece at a garage sale in the worst case scenio. I have also just come off making a grand on a lot of servers I bought a few weeks earlier. Figured I might be able to roll up my profits and make another grand without any real risk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread