Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said before, I would start contacting large construction companies. This is one item I believe you are going to make far more whole than you ever would parting it out.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way would I part that out until after putting serious effort into selling as a unit. As for selling below market value, personally Im of the mind that you paid $300 for it, find out what its worth, price it low and sell fast. As for not knowing if it works, Raise that bad boy up and try it out!

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if you want to get involved in this but have you thought about keeping it and renting it out by the day to construction companies. It could be a constant money maker for you. Just a thought, although me personally the idea of selling this for a huge windfall would be too much for me to resist. Good luck and let us know how what you end up doing.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You just never know what you'll find on the hunt. Good Job!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you for each and every suggestion. IT SOLD!!!

Never, ever selling on Craigslist before, in the first several months of ownership, I ran two listings. The first under Commercial Equipment and the second time under "For Sale---By Owner". Both were placed in the Dallas/Ft.Worth Craigslist with brief nibbles and one "shady offer" that kept Texting me to take it off the market he wanted it for his son's Christmas gift and would send his friend with a check".... He did all the things I listed I didn't want in texting and cash only....

When the second unsuccessful round of Craigslists ended, I gave it a rest. Then, just a few days ago I reworked the wording and the removed phrases like, "Cash Only. Large bills require driver's license I.D." Then I added, "Surveillance Trailer: Solar powered" "System comes with FREE video camera, I. R. emitter, and older batteries if buyer wants them; unsure if they work."

Out of 5 calls or email questions in the next 6 days, one buyer wanted to buy the trailer and mast only for $350. Two called to ask me some details for them to make a portable Ham Radio antenna and solar powered system. Still, Another wanted a background as to what the trailer was used for. The fourth email was a fellow that wanted to barter/trade an electric start, low hour, 8kw Kohler generator.

The last caller at 8:32, wanted to come look at it even though it was 21* degrees yesterday morning.... Selling this trailer system was a lot like the "old" saying that goes with owning a boat: "THE TWO HAPPIEST DAYS IN OWNING A BOAT IS THE DAY YOU BUY IT, AND THE DAY YOU SELL IT."

Over 60 miles away, when he got here, we used the hydraulics and raised the extended mast, checked the two Morningstar solar controllers to see they were charging the questionable deep-cycle 12v batteries, locked up and revolved the double 135 watt Kyocera panel array, and aired-up the low tires. After several attempts to get it for less, he paid cash the full asking price of the whole trailer system: $1,200.00.

He drove away warm & happy, and like Christmas Vacation's Clark Griswold out hunting the perfect Christmas Tree, I walked in the backdoor with a big smile frozen on my face.... .

Attachments

• Solar trailer leaving a.JPG
    Solar trailer leaving a.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
...one "shady offer" that kept Texting me to take it off the market he wanted it for his son's Christmas gift and would send his friend with a check".... He did all the things I listed I didn't want in texting and cash only....

Congrats on the sale! I have sold tons of stuff on Craigslist. With lower dollar items about the worst problem I have is every once in a while somebody will say they are coming to look at it or buy it and then fail to show up. However, with higher dollar items (such as yours), I will ALWAYS get a couple of scammers. For those of you who may not be familiar with Craigslist scammers, here is a brief primer:

There are a couple of "tells" that should alert you to the fact that your prospective buyer is a scammer. One is the kind of thing Bill describes - the buyer starts the conversation by wanting to change the terms of the deal. Another is the scammers almost always phrase their message (either text or email) in non-specific terms but then quote the title of the listing. For example, I currently have a piano for sale on CL. The other day I got a text from a scammer that read as follows:

"I am interested, please email me back on my personal email address is [email protected]. I am willing to buy. Thanks. UPRIGHT PIANO, BLAH, BLAH, QUOTING MY LISTING TITLE"

In case any of you are interested, CL scammers are usually trying to pull off what is known as a "fake check" scam. It works like this:

You make a deal with the guy (always by anonymous email). He agrees to pay by check and have someone come pick the item up (BTW, the "pick up" guy will never show up because he doesn't exist). You will get his check but it will be for an amount greater than the agreed price. You contact the guy telling him he sent you too much. He apologizes and thanks you profusely for being so honest and then asks you to go ahead and deposit the check and send him back the amount of overpayment. He might even offer you a little extra for your trouble.

So, lets say the deal was for $1,000. He sends you $2,000. You point out the mistake and he tells you to send him back, say, $900 instead of the full $1,000 overpayment. Seems awfully nice of him, doesn't it? So you go ahead and send him a check for $900. A few weeks later, you get a letter from your bank telling you the guy's check bounced. You check your account and find out the guy has cashed your $900 check but now the bank is coming after you for all $2,000. You're screwed because there is no way for you to track down who or where your "buyer" is. Chances are good the guy is overseas somewhere and using a "mule" to process his victim's checks. If you work real hard, you might find the mule but neither you or law enforcement will ever find him. in other words, you're out $2,900 and the scammer is $900 richer.

Moral of the Story: When selling on Craigslist, only accept cash and only in person. No checks, no PayPal, no long distance deals.

One additional note... if you recognize the scam, DO NOT start screwing with the scammer! Most of these guys are part of international criminal gangs. Piss them off enough and they may come looking for you. They know who you are and where you are. The risk is small but it is real. There are ways to mess with scammers safely but you need to learn how to protect yourself first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tailone,

Thanks for taking the time to show how Scammers can work. Your advice is wise and well said. It is a bit scary out there!

I've always respected President Ronald Reagan's work and time in office. I use one of his famous sayings almost everyday; even at fast-foods' "Drive Through Windows"....

President Reagan's words: "TRUST, BUT VERIFY."

Since he paid in $100 dollar bills, I have a much better photo shot of the buyer driving away. I didn't post it because the high DPI picture can be enlarged enough to read his Chevy pickup's rear plates. I also told him I would sent the instruction booklet to the camera if he would write down his mailing address and list his email address for any online data I found on the Porta Mast trailer. The email went through and I'll mail the booklet this week.

Gets complicated doesn't it? But in the end, it's good to know he got something good and that he appears to be one of the "Good Guys" out there!

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
So, lets say the deal was for $1,000. He sends you $2,000. You point out the mistake and he tells you to send him back, say, $900 instead of the full $1,000 overpayment. Seems awfully nice of him, doesn't it? So you go ahead and send him a check for $900. A few weeks later, you get a letter from your bank telling you the guy's check bounced. You check your account and find out the guy has cashed your $900 check but now the bank is coming after you for all $2,000. You're screwed because there is no way for you to track down who or where your "buyer" is. Chances are good the guy is overseas somewhere and using a "mule" to process his victim's checks. If you work real hard, you might find the mule but neither you or law enforcement will ever find him. in other words, you're out $2,900 and the scammer is $900 richer.

Technically you are only out $900 if the buyer never actually picks up the item.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically you are only out $900 if the buyer never actually picks up the item.

In this type of scam, the "buyer" has no intention of taking physical possession of your item. The scammer will claim somebody will come get the item but that's a lie designed to convince you the deal is legit. The scammer doesn't want your item, he wants your money. Besides, it would be even worse for you if somebody did come pick the item up. In that scenario, you have sent the scammer $900 AND you no longer have your item to sell to a real buyer. All you are left with is a worthless check and a pissed off bank.

You are right in that the bank isn't likely to ask you to make good on the other guy's check. They may, however, charge you a fee for passing a bad check.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread