Auction finds

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
First auction I was able to get to this year. I spent $130 on 3 box lots. Had a great time and am looking forward to the next one. Included in the boxes were a bin of new bungee cords, several tools I wanted and 3 new pairs of good leather work gloves, I'm keeping these for myself so I figure my cost of the items in plan on selling on eBay is about $100. Here are the pics, any and all comments welcome! Thanks for looking. image-3082865437.jpg image-3553644572.jpg image-1253410109.jpg image-1212688851.jpg image-430787165.jpg image-3991059077.jpg image-3846159561.jpg I could use some help with an ID on the last pic below, above the plate. It has a small bubble level on the side, a clear window on one end, and a pin hole on the other end. image-3716468888.jpg image-3023413276.jpg And the plate I got for $1 at a yard sale on the way home image-543016735.jpg image-29957812.jpg

Last edited:

bc8888

Greenie
Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tool is an engineers or surveyors pocket sight / level

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
$100 seems like a lot to me. However, I know very little about these items and I haven't researched a single thing shown in the pictures so that is pure gut reaction and, therefore, possibly WAY wrong. I'm intrigued by the Lionel transformer. That thing looks really old and I know vintage Lionel stuff is very popular. The Ford wrench is interesting, too. Is the other wrench Ford also? Best of luck with the selling. I hope you make a good return on your investment.

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
$100 seems like a lot to me. However, I know very little about these items and I haven't researched a single thing shown in the pictures so that is pure gut reaction and, therefore, possibly WAY wrong. I'm intrigued by the Lionel transformer. That thing looks really old and I know vintage Lionel stuff is very popular. The Ford wrench is interesting, too. Is the other wrench Ford also? Best of luck with the selling. I hope you make a good return on your investment.

Prior to the auction I searched for values of some of the items posted. The Mico lever lock (red box) should bring close to $100, as per sold items on eBay. Both wrenches are Ford. The Lionel transformer values are all over the place, from 15-100, I'm still researching that. One big surprise was the 14 tubes of scroll saw blades. They were on the bottom of a box and I had no idea they were there, they average from 6-12 per tube. I got lucky on a couple items, as most will bring from 10-20 on eBay. Auctions let me get my gambling "fix" with minimal risk LOL.

Thanks for the comments

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Lionel transformer is a prewar version, and probably not worth much.

The post war transformers can command some pretty good money for the right models, like a ZW.

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks. I was looking tonight and there are a few similar that sold for $15-$30. I was hoping for more but still profit!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If it were mine, I'd test it with a volt meter, and TAKE A PICTURE OF THE VOLTMETER SHOWING THE CORRECT VOLTAGE.

Make sure you list it in Lionel>PREWAR. I don't know prewar Lionel like I should, but I do know that if you list it in postwar, none of the prewar collectors will see it.

Take a great pic of the cord, and show it too. A collector is not buying this...a prewar operator is. If you can give train operators something they can plug and play with today, you'll get more money for it.

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
BTW, I love the folding rule you picked up. Is it a Stanley? What number is it?

It is a Stanley, and I believe it is a 61, but would have to look again. The scribe is also a Stanley but need look with a better magnifier. The numbers are more script like then block letters.

Ford Model T wrench? That would be cool, I'll have to do more research on that prior to listing on eBay.

Thank you very much for the info!!!

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
If it were mine, I'd test it with a volt meter, and TAKE A PICTURE OF THE VOLTMETER SHOWING THE CORRECT VOLTAGE. Make sure you list it in Lionel>PREWAR. I don't know prewar Lionel like I should, but I do know that if you list it in postwar, none of the prewar collectors will see it. Take a great pic of the cord, and show it too. A collector is not buying this...a prewar operator is. If you can give train operators something they can plug and play with today, you'll get more money for it.

Great info, thank you!

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations in spite of my INSANE jealousy, lol. DH would love all this. Keep us posted on your ebay sales.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second clovis' notion about the wrenches, I have one that I got at a junk shop as a kid that looks very similar and was told by one of my dad's archaeologist friends that it was from a Model T. Apparently they all came with tool kits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread