Ebay yard sale!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever come across one of these? This lady had tons of things. She claimed she had 2 eBay stores and was down sizing. Then you walk into the house and there is a letter on the front door! Everything you see is priced as what it sells for on eBay! Oh wonderful!! Time to leave is my first thought! I found some things I wanted to buy, put them in a box and TRY to get them at a bargain.... Nope, I have this listed for $22, this I sell for $50, these sell for $18 each, you can have the whole lot for $130!! Everything included.... So what is one to say to this type of person...? I just asked if she combined shipping fees! Then put on my list of houses to never go to again!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever come across one of these? This lady had tons of things. She claimed she had 2 eBay stores and was down sizing. Then you walk into the house and there is a letter on the front door! Everything you see is priced as what it sells for on eBay! Oh wonderful!! Time to leave is my first thought! I found some things I wanted to buy, put them in a box and TRY to get them at a bargain.... Nope, I have this listed for $22, this I sell for $50, these sell for $18 each, you can have the whole lot for $130!! Everything included.... So what is one to say to this type of person...? I just asked if she combined shipping fees! Then put on my list of houses to never go to again!

As soon as I see a notation to an Ebay price or Online price, I just turn around and walk away. Why even try to talk to them. Occasionally, if there is a LOT that I see on the surface that I want, I will give them my card and tell them to call me when they are serious about selling.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, if I hear the seller speak the name eBay (to me or anyone else) at a garage sale or flea market that is a dead giveaway that their stuff is overpriced. I'm headed for exit as soon as I hear that name.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed.
I used to try to explain to the sellers that just because it's listed for an amount doesn't mean it sells for that.
Luckily, most don''t seem to understand what a "sold listing search" is.

Now, as soon as I see or hear "Ebay" at at yard sale, I run screaming for the hills.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a problem with sellers anywhere mentioning eBay..... As long as its something along the line of "any eBayable items are priced at half or less of what they actually SELL for on eBay". That said anyone asking eBay prices at a yard/garage sale is absolutely out of their mind & I wouldn't hesitate telling them that on my way out!

On a side note this is my first time using & posting thru the Tnet app for android. Its actually a descent app but could use some tweaking.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite is when I show them that the $350 price is too high, that they are SOLD for $100, they then say, OK, you can have it for $100.

My answer is usually, how about $20. I have to pay for it now, take pictures, list it, wait, hope it sells, wait for payment, Pay paypal, Pay ebay, pay postage, and then, after all of that, I will make a bit for my self. I like to pay myself $50 an hour. Any less than that, and I might as well stay home and watch football.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually make my offer and then if they refuse and say eBay, I point at them,laugh and walk away!

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Oh yeah..this week...

First mistake: Saw a sign that said "affordable estate sale" and i turned in.

Second mistake: Saw several ebay print outs (not sold but asking prices) by a few items. I continued to look around. A waste of time, everything was marked way to high from cheap can openers to chairs to books.

Then hit a sale with a lot of depression and other glass ware. All at retail prices. That's all there was at the so called garage sale. A few tables of glass.

If I had any inclination to browse, it left quickly, when the lady running it, walked down the drive way to meet a young Hispanic mother and her child with "My dear we are selling just antiques and collectibles today" effectively blocking that young lady from getting up the driveway to the tables.

Grrr.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I used to run into it at automotive parts flea markets. Guy would start yapping about what something sells for on Ebay and I would simply tell him to put it on Ebay then and stop wasting everyone's time and I'd walk away.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little something to check out...
10-year-history-of-precious-metals.jpg
What a coincidence that these prices crashed shortly after the assay of my platinum specimen... I wonder if my little beauties had anything at all to do with such a thing???

RARE Native Platinum in Matrix from North America | eBay
Check out the date of 9/24/2007 on my assay report... Funny...Right???

Ed T :)
Funny, I missed something. Did you actually sell any of your specimens? I am not a professional mineral collector but as an experienced metals buyer, people will travel across this country to buy what you are selling if priced at market value?

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually go in kind of low key to these garage sales. If the price they are asking is to high I make an offer that allows me to double or triple my money on items 20 or less. Items over 100 dollars I will offer a higher price as long as they are a fast mover. If they move slow or are going to be a nightmare to package, I use the double to triple rule for profit. If they turn me down I give them my card and tell them my deals stands on the prices I offered and if they want to move them in the future please let me know.

I never call them on their prices as I hope they will be selling me their stuff in the future. ( I usually get a call or two every 3 to 4 months)

Cheer - Galen

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup any kind of online pricing on a item I just leave. I figure if you can sell for that on ebay then put it on there. A local thrift store started doing this, was in there today and a couple people were tryinbg to get it into their heads that drives serious buyers away. That most thrift business is people doing resale. But nope they couldn't get a foot hold in them. So they said the same thing I told them tons of times, sell it on ebay then.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
At a private run estate sale the woman had a WWII Japanese Medal for sale at $220.00 firm. She had the ebay printout that showed one at auction with a current bid of $109.00. She saw the expression on my face and said, "Well, you know, it still has a day to go and you know how much higher they go in the last day!"

Sigh.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a private run estate sale the woman had a WWII Japanese Medal for sale at $220.00 firm. She had the ebay printout that showed one at auction with a current bid of $109.00. She saw the expression on my face and said, "Well, you know, it still has a day to go and you know how much higher they go in the last day!"

Sigh.

This takes the cake!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread