do any of you have booth space in a mall?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it 40% and no monthly fee? I suppose if you just have extra stuff that would work out ok. But monthly rent and a percentage. They must think people are real suckers.

I stopped at a antique shop here locally and they want 40% of the sale, but won't buy it out right for that. I won't be using them! lol I don't mind giving a deal on my stuff to unload it, but I'd rather take my chances at an auction house and get the money all at once if I'm going to take that kind of loss! Some of the collectables have really dropped!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
From what I've read here, I realize that I do not have the business acumen to make a go of space at a mall. I also agree that foot traffic is down at the big AMs we have here. I think people feel like they can find it cheaper on ebay. As much as we all like to biotch and moan about ebay, its been very good to me.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of insight into that post about decorating the booth. I use to sell blown glass at galleries and it seemed the only place that really moved a lot of what I had was organized but didn't fill every square inch. So the best galleries were the ones where they stashed the inventory in the back but had lot of variety on the floor. Of course there were price breaking points where if you are over the $500 mark its best not to have to many other things around to choose from. But from the $25-$100 mark you wanted to see a moderate amount of things that were organized not really displayed. Problem is when a gallery starts doing well they want to keep adding more and more. But it doesn't really earn the individuals selling any more money.

Anyway I was thinking about getting a case around me but there are only two options. One is next to your typical large outdoor fleamarket. Nice, staffed mall lots of security cameras stocked with lots of things that when you go to the auction and they say in the style of .. because they aren't the real thing. The thing I don't like about the adjoining fleamarket is so many things are straight from china. The other choice is a lot closer to my house in a small town where lot of rich people visit for the weekend But its one of those three story antique malls. Where I might struggle to find enough true antiques. I guess I'll stop by and see what the rates are.

Anyway thanks for sharing that link.
Here is a good thread about selling in flea markets and antique malls:

Anyone have a booth at an Antique Mall? - Homesteading Today

Fair warning: You are going to read quite a bit of bellyaching, especially by me, about the economy and poor sales!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread