Matchbox gold

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Literally can the GS threads everyday! Been having to many good scores not to share so here's the most descent

Scored around 35 redline matchbox for $35!!! The seller said he had them since he was a kid and. That another buyer passed on them for $50!! These are in as good as shape as you could imagine. I didn't look through them all, I just saw 3-4 redlined and made the deal. Much to my surprise there was a MINT VW beach bomber!!! There are a couple other high grade pieces and the condition of half of these is as good as you could imagine...I even wondered about their legitimacy a few times but they seem to check out.

I plan on flipping most and keeping 4-5 of the best ones as a collection starter. I love the rush of guys like this, can't belie the other guy passed on them at $50!!! The VW alone is over $100!

Attachments

• image-938102671.jpg
    image-938102671.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 159
  • image-2559485976.jpg
    image-2559485976.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1757799417.jpg
    image-1757799417.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 160

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
How much do you expect to get for all of them? What are key things to look for in these guys?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. You found a real treasure there with those redlines for that price. I see some good ones in there for sure! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys!

Honestly I just saw 2-3 redlines in the carrying case and then decided to snatch them up, and for $35 I was willing to risk it since my 2.5 year old loves cars to, and would play with them. I was pretty uneducated until doing research after buying these. What i learned was

Look for the redlines on the wheels
Condition is everything
Rare colors make a big difference (pink is good!)
The earlier the better

Looking forward to sharing more finds!

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Back before the Internet and Ebay, I sold some of my matchbox and hotwheels redlines from my childhood for $1300. Glad I sold them since Ebay opened up the whole availability market and prices dropped as a result. At $35, though, there's no way to lose. Good score!

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I have a offer for $600 pending. That's not including the five that I'm going to keep that are the best five of the group.

The guy who sold them even said "you're getting a killer deal here, no way to go wrong with this one"

Was he ever right…

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to be competitors. Now they are both owned by Mattel.
Early Matchbox cars are collectible as well.

Ok..so the older redlines are Hot Wheels only ?

Family have some that are early 70's ..matchbox.

Thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok..so the older redlines are Hot Wheels only ?

Family have some that are early 70's ..matchbox.

Thanks
Yes, redlines were made from '68 thru '77 and are Hot Wheels brand. The 2 companies didn't converge until '97. Matchbox was an older company and started making cars in '53 and was a brand name of the British Lesney company that started making die cast cars in the '40's. So basically they are all related, sort of. lol

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Sold the lot for $660 and I kept the 3 that I liked best! I also have 2 listed in eBay so hopefully I get to 700!

The guys was a hardcore collector and very knowledgeable. I'm glad they went to a good home.

Oh and he said the VW beach bomber is as good as it gets in terms of condition and said I could easily get $120-140 for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread