Flea market scrap find

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0529141529.jpg 0529141529a.jpg

Got this for $21.90 after taxes. Weighed 57.6 pounds total. There is a radio I should be able to get $20 for if it works. I'll scrap about all of the other wires, maybe sell a few. Should do alright off of it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful...

I would not have paid $20 for that box. I understand you bought it with the intention to scrap it but to me, that was quite a risk for little reward.

The total weight was 50 pounds? Is that including the radio and other plastic junk I see in the box? What kind of wire is it? It looks like ethernet cable and possibly coax cable? Those will not scrap for insulated prices (some yards wont take them at all).

Also, what kind of radio is it? In my area, those aftermarket cd players can be bought new at Walmart for under $50. Used you would be lucky to get $5 if older and in used condition.

Remember, insulated wire is about $.85/lb.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of it is good insulated copper. There is a little bit of Ethernet and Coax, but not much. The radio is a name brand, I can't think of what it is right now. I'll be sure to let everyone know total prices and everything. I knew it was a risk, but I should still do fine.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of it is good insulated copper. There is a little bit of Ethernet and Coax, but not much. The radio is a name brand, I can't think of what it is right now. I'll be sure to let everyone know total prices and everything. I knew it was a risk, but I should still do fine.
I'm sure you know what's in there better than we do. The pics don't do it any justice. Just looks like a box of junk coax and stuff from this end. I hope you do well on it.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was skeptical of it until I dug through it a little bit. There are a lot of power cords, etc. I offered the guy 15, then he came back with 25. I stood there and dug for a while, and he got nervous I guess and said he would take 20. There are a lot of ends to cut, but it shouldn't be too long before I haul it to the scrapyard and can let you guys know what I got for it.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I was skeptical of it until I dug through it a little bit. There are a lot of power cords, etc. I offered the guy 15, then he came back with 25. I stood there and dug for a while, and he got nervous I guess and said he would take 20. There are a lot of ends to cut, but it shouldn't be too long before I haul it to the scrapyard and can let you guys know what I got for it.

In the future, take the radio out and say "ok you keep the radio and I'll give you $10". That tactic works great for me and I do it all the time.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I probably would have passed on that box too.

Our local scrap yard will not accept coax at all, and pays 20 cents to 50 cents a pound for light, mixed wire like that.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insulated copper here is $1 per pound, and last time, they bought double insulated at that price too. After going through the box, I filled a large flat rate box up with video game controllers, cords, etc., that I will put on eBay. I also have a lot of speakers that I will test, and the radio that I will see if it will work. I am still confident I will do fine off of the box. The plugs that I cut off also go on eBay for $20 or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread