$1 cigar box of treasure- They are still out there

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by a local yard sale, mostly clothes and just junk. On a counter up front was this cigar box. I started looking through it and saw a real old pair of needle nose pliers. I picked them up out of the box and the seller said "Take that whole box for $1" There was a bunch of little tools and other stuff in it, but Id pay $1 just for the pliers, so said ok, sounds good. The cigar box is probably at least worth $1. On the way home, started going through the box and see a bunch of stuff I didn't pay any attention to while there. Old ribbon, buttons, what looked like tie tacks, etc. Looks like someone had a little collection of old smalls and kept them in this box and a bunch of other junk got thrown in. There were two things with "The Derby" on them and on the back says "Pat Nov 29 1898" and I was thinking they were some type of tie clip or something maybe sold during the Kentucky Derby. After researching them, They are old gambling cheating devices used to hold cards up your sleeve. Pretty dang cool. Here are the pictures. Several of the little pieces I have no idea what they are. I keep everything I find metal detecting, but think Im going to see about throwing some of this stuff on ebay.The whole box
IMG_1724_zps115359f3.jpg
The older stuff from the box
IMG_1725_zps8541357d.jpg
Other stuff in the box
IMG_1726_zpsc6eb122c.jpg
Two "The Derby" card up sleeve cheating devices
IMG_1730_zps6e511118.jpg
IMG_1727_zpsfd318b8d.jpg
IMG_1731_zps01706a23.jpg
Not sure what this was. The back has a tiny square hole in the middle, maybe it was a pin lik the other two in the box. Not sure if its gold or gold plated
IMG_1735_zpsece4bff2.jpg
Not sure what this this was. Looks like gold plated brass to me. The two holes on each end goes through and there are little things in each hole that are loose that held something. Here are several pictures of it.
IMG_1728_zps649807c0.jpg
Heres the back if it
IMG_1734_zps18673ea7.jpg
IMG_1732_zps93651042.jpg
Some kind of old tool maybe? Has writing at the top but cant make it out for sure. Looks like "ALLSERSEALLS" on one side and "32" on the other
IMG_1736_zps87912dc2.jpg
IMG_1737_zpsad089a00.jpg

Last edited:

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom picture looks like an old nail punch, still made as such. I have one that is hiding until I am not looking for it:p

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff - Those Derby things are awesome - you did good !

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool finds... good job by you!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with hubcap76: Nail punch.
Nail punches come in head diameters sizes based on 32 guage; like 1/32s, 2/32s; ergo, your '32'.
There should be a number before the '32'.
That's my guess.
Don.....

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The card cheating devices are not what they really are. They are just cuff holders. Check out this pagehttp://cardshark-online.blogspot.com...r-was.html?m=1I wouldn't want to be the one telling a big lie to make something more appealing like some sellers do on ebay
Im not sure. I can find a bunch of references to thissame exact piece as a card cheating device, and only that one article from that guy saying things like this aren't, but it doesn't reference this exact item. The ones he shows have clips on both sides. These only have a clip on one side and the other side, a playing card fits snug and wont fal out. Not sure how it would hold onto a cuff, even if it were paper thin enough to slip it in. The ones he shows with the clip on each end, I would say they are for holding cuffs. Im not going to saying they definitely are even though Ive found 5 or so references to this item (the derby), but Im also not going to say they aren't due to the one article.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact some of the gambling museums. They could probably tell you for sure. There are several on the web. I remembered seeing a show on the history channel that said they werent cheating devices , I cant remember what show that was now.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bee thing is old - and I'd have it checked to make sure it's not some kind of gold. The two holes make me think "bolo tie", but it looks more feminine? Anyway, you might take that to a jeweler and get a better idea of what you have. Very cool box of stuff!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact some of the gambling museums. They could probably tell you for sure. There are several on the web. I remembered seeing a show on the history channel that said they werent cheating devices , I cant remember what show that was now.
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw them. Here is the one from above that is shown in a 1902 Sears catalog- https://www.etsy.com/listing/166510885/victorian-link-cuff-holder-c-1898-1902 There are a couple cuff holders that claim to be card cheat devices. Another is called the wizard. Here is a patent drawing for the one patd. on the date mentioned by the OP.

PS- NICE $1 BOX!
USD29727-0.png

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Could there be another letter before the 'a' on that nail punch?
Don.....

The nail punch was made by Millers Falls, a prominent tool maker that competed with Stanley, back in the day.

I have an identical Millers Falls nail punch in my tool box. When I saw the first pic of the nail punch, I immediately knew the knurled pattern on the shank as being a MF punch.

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digimmup- That's awesome, Thanks! Very cool to have a copy of the catalog page. Guess that settles it!Clovis/hubcap/mackaydon- Thanks for the help on IDing the nail punch. I figured it was something like that but with the curve on the bottom piece I just wasn't sure.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bee thing is old - and I'd have it checked to make sure it's not some kind of gold. The two holes make me think "bolo tie", but it looks more feminine? Anyway, you might take that to a jeweler and get a better idea of what you have. Very cool box of stuff!!

Agreed.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Clovis/hubcap/mackaydon- Thanks for the help on IDing the nail punch. I figured it was something like that but with the curve on the bottom piece I just wasn't sure.

The 'curve' on the nail punch means that someone used it as a drift pin, and bent it.

Don't forget to hit the "like" button...it is kind of like saying 'thank you' or at least acknowledging that someone posted. Kind of like saying 'thank you' when someone holds a door open for you.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to hit the "like" button...it is kind of like saying 'thank you' or at least acknowledging that someone posted. Kind of like saying 'thank you' when someone holds a door open for you.
it doesn't let you if your on the mobile app, seems only available to web based forum, unless I'm missing something , *like* :p

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it doesn't let you if your on the mobile app, seems only available to web based forum, unless I'm missing something , *like* :p

Ditto. I just post "agreed" when I like something cause no Like on mobile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions