Amazing Silver Haul for $5. TOO MUCH SILVER!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I wish I was standing next to him when he offered $3, I would have said I will give you the $5.

I actually almost did that to a guy who was trying to haggle down the price on a Polaroid Alpha Camera, Lady wanted $40 and he was saying no way. It had the original box and styrofoam. I knew it was worth a lot more than $40. Lucky me he put it down and walked away. I actually got the lady down to $35 and sold it for $117.

I would say just be careful when trying to skimp a buck or two on a nice score, never know who is standing around lurking.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I was standing next to him when he offered $3, I would have said I will give you the $5.

I actually almost did that to a guy who was trying to haggle down the price on a Polaroid Alpha Camera, Lady wanted $40 and he was saying no way. It had the original box and styrofoam. I knew it was worth a lot more than $40. Lucky me he put it down and walked away. I actually got the lady down to $35 and sold it for $117.

I would say just be careful when trying to skimp a buck or two on a nice score, never know who is standing around lurking.
This^^! I am ALWAYS lurking. I find out that I missed something at a sale and someone asks the price and balks. If its a good price…I just offer them a dollar or two less than the ask and walk away. If its a great price…I pay and walk away. Thankful to the guy that walked away. And I have been that guy who walked away and then came back and said item was gone! But great deal either way. He played it cool and treated it like any other deal and walked away with the goods.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the reasons I did not counter when I got mine was because, I once came across a 18k thick women's bangle bracelet mixed in with some kids costume jewelry, I asked how much the lady said $5.00 I countered with 3.00 and she said let me see that, oh! That is not supposed to be in there, and kept it! Thus if I would have paid the 5.00 it would have been the super score for me! So now if it is a killer deal I just pay immediately.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the reasons I did not counter when I got mine was because, I once came across a 18k thick women's bangle bracelet mixed in with some kids costume jewelry, I asked how much the lady said $5.00 I countered with 3.00 and she said let me see that, oh! That is not supposed to be in there, and kept it! Thus if I would have paid the 5.00 it would have been the super score for me! So now if it is a killer deal I just pay immediately.

Well that's a kick in the ....... I never counter on a deal like that, you all are nuts! A fishing pole or something for around the house, sure... An obvious score like that, kinda asking for them to second guess it. That's crazy!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

This has happened to me several times. When someone gives me a price and I know the stuff is worth buying, I simply pay the money and move on.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
That happened to me once. They wanted $4 for a $15 candle. I offered $2, which was what I was willing to pay. They came down to $3.50, and I said I was probably just about all in at $2. some old lady said, "If you don't pay the $3.50, I will." I told her off something special (no profanity, but I basically told her I thought she was extremely rude). Left the candle for her, and told her she would be much better off if she minded her own business.

Sorry, 2. I just think that is not cool. If they put it down, go for it. Until they do, mind your own business.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That happened to me once. They wanted $4 for a $15 candle. I offered $2, which was what I was willing to pay. They came down to $3.50, and I said I was probably just about all in at $2. some old lady said, "If you don't pay the $3.50, I will." I told her off something special (no profanity, but I basically told her I thought she was extremely rude). Left the candle for her, and told her she would be much better off if she minded her own business.

Sorry, 2. I just think that is not cool. If they put it down, go for it. Until they do, mind your own business.

Are you responding to post #22?

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009

As a seller you are trying to get as much for an item as you can. Put yourself in their shoes, some guy is offering you $3 and you want $5, another guy says I will gladly pay you $5, as a seller would you say, "Sorry sir we aren't done negotiating, please wait your turn"?

What would probably happen is the person with the item in their hand would get their $5 out as fast as possible and never let the item go and try and claim it anyway. And that is how fistfights start.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a seller you are trying to get as much for an item as you can. Put yourself in their shoes, some guy is offering you $3 and you want $5, another guy says I will gladly pay you $5, as a seller would you say, "Sorry sir we aren't done negotiating, please wait your turn"?

What would probably happen is the person with the item in their hand would get their $5 out as fast as possible and never let the item go and try and claim it anyway. And that is how fistfights start.

No, I would say "Ok, I have $5. Do I hear $6?"

Gotta dig it

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2014
ontario
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done! Only in my dreams, I have 80 hrs on At Pro and it's finally talking to me. Will post some stuff by the end of the wekk. Keep on digging.

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this thread seemed to spawn a mini debate on what technique should have been applied to this, so I'll give my two cents.

If you're going to obviously make a huge profit, you're gonna want to purchase it as soon as possible. The seller most likely won't second guess themselves. Consider this scenario: A person is selling a lamp. A person, who genuinely appreciates it and doesn't have any haggling skills, asks for the price. They immediately buy it without haggling. If the person's goal is to get rid of the stuff, there is a lower chance a person going to second guess and be like "Wait, they didn't bargain. Something must be fishy" Keep in mind the seller is also scared of losing customers. It's safe to say it's probably not the seller's first yard sale where people make an immediate purchase.

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for other buyers trying to buy the stuff in your hands: You got here sooner and you saw it first. Therefore, you get first dibs.

People are raised to be polite, including sellers. If you're haggling and someone else behind you tries to counteroffer for a higher price, you should be playful about it and say "Hey, there's a reason why I went for this first, ma'am/sir" and give a small chuckle. At this point, unless they wants to look very rude, there's not much the other person can say. If you're afraid of the seller giving into the other person, make sure you make some small talk at the yard sale. The key thing to fighting back-counter people is two things: Making the counter person look bad, and possibly making the seller look bad if he/she accepts the rude behavior. The last thing a seller wants to do is look bad in front of a lot of people over a few dollars :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did the right thing, after all it is a yardsale not macys.

probably time to sell. you look like a college guy Mr. PDT will just about buy next semisters books. ;)

Proud, but broke, father of a ZTA Cal Poly Grad.

Mm I've got a job to cover those books :duckie:

I hear ZTA girls are really pretty by the way :laughing7:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it,if youre going to make a damn good profit,just paying the asking price creates no fuss.The buck you save isnt going to do anything for you:laughing9:

But where can you buy a "heart-pumping roller coaster ride" AND a "hypersonic adrenalin rush" all for just a dollar? :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions