Amazing Silver Haul for $5. TOO MUCH SILVER!

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too much of a story here, but here goes. Went to a few garage sales today. Noticed a middle-aged couple selling a lot of vintage stuff; the stuff you'd see in maybe grandma's house. Saw the silverware laying in a plastic container and decided to check it out (Garage saling tip: Always check the silverware and anything that looks silver-plated. You never know.) Checked one spoon: Westmoreland Sterling. Checked one fork: Westmoreland Sterling. Checked out the knives: "Sterling handle".

"How much for all this?" "Five dollars" "Can you go three?" "Nope, five" Four" "Five" "Alright"

I know what you're thinking: In this case I know I'm already making a ton of profit. Not in a spend-$10-earn-$30 way, but on a much larger scale, so why haggle down? Honestly, I was delusional. Opportunities like this don't come to me very often, and when they do I always try to treat them like any other transaction.

Anyhow, get back home, weigh it, and the total amount came to be 45 ounces, giving me a grand total of a little over $700 in sterling silver (Excluding the knives. Stainless steel blades and weighted handles).

Yeah, it's been a good day today. Happy Hunting everyone 8-)

Attachments

• Flower Pattern Sterling.jpg
    Flower Pattern Sterling.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 174
  • Sterling Silverware.jpg
    Sterling Silverware.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Sterling Westmoreland.jpg
    Sterling Westmoreland.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 195

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Nice score. Dude.... trying to chisel another $1 off of $700 in silver??? I would be afraid the seller would sense my excitement and take a second look at what he's got, realize he is making a HUGE mistake, and change is mind on the price.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Wow! Nice score. Dude.... trying to chisel another $1 off of $700 in silver??? I would be afraid the seller would sense my excitement and take a second look at what he's got, realize he is making a HUGE mistake, and change is mind on the price.
^^^^ This... I know it's all about getting the best deal but now you're sounding like that bottom feeder Frank on American Pickers.. Seriously though good score.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the haggle- if you scream "I'll buy that for $whatever", the seller will think twice about the price. But haggling lets the seller think that they're wheeling and dealing for the best price. In the end, the seller would feel better about the deal if they think they bargained for it. Oh, sweet score btw!!!

HH
-GC

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The way I see it,if youre going to make a damn good profit,just paying the asking price creates no fuss.The buck you save isnt going to do anything for you:laughing9:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find I love it. You have found the reason we wake up in the morning to go look at everybody's junk! Love it nice find now do you sell it or do you stashing away?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they weren't willing to negotiate the price you should have walked away.

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping you're just making a joke :laughing7:

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Upon inspection, I realized the whole thing was a complete set. 8 soup spoons, 8 dining spoons, 8 salad forks, 8 dining forks, 8 knives, a butter knife, a jam spoon, and a ladle. This is just too crazy.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sock it away buddy,silver is going down,no sense in selling it unless youre hard up.The economy is crapping the bed so the best advice is to hang on to it.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good play! I would have done the same thing. The "game" is fun!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I know the feeling,but I did not counter,I immediately paid.

OP
OP
ATPro4Life

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find I love it. You have found the reason we wake up in the morning to go look at everybody's junk! Love it nice find now do you sell it or do you stashing away?

Good question. Since I found out it was a whole set my mom suggested keeping it for a future wedding. My dad on the other hand is encouraging me to sell it and put it into stocks. I really, really would like to eat some filet mignon with this sterling silverware honestly :skullflag:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score! Now eat a pork chop using the silver and stash it! I sold my silver score last month and keeping it would have been a better deal!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell silver while its low to buy stocks which are at an all time high??? Seems kind of backwards to me.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on the haggle- if you scream "I'll buy that for $whatever", the seller will think twice about the price. But haggling lets the seller think that they're wheeling and dealing for the best price. In the end, the seller would feel better about the deal if they think they bargained for it.

:icon_scratch: This argument makes no sense. If you give the seller his asking price, the deal is done and there is no opportunity to think twice. Furthermore, how in the world is the seller going to think they are getting a better deal by negotiating? If the transaction starts by the seller naming a price, at best the "negotiation" ends where it started... namely, the seller's asking price.

I could understand ATPro4Life's theory if the starting point in this "negotiation" was a significantly higher amount. Even starting at $20 or so there is a little room for negotiation but a $5 starting point leaves very little negotiating room. In such a situation, asking the seller to come down another couple of dollars seems like you are asking the seller to (almost literally) GIVE his stuff to you. But that's just me. As with most things, there are many philosophies to be found and one size does not fit all.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price as a set is worth well over spot silver price anyway. I found a bit about the ... - after the Westmorland sterling logo dating it to WW2. The dot dot dot dash is morse code for V as in Victory.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread