SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys first time buying and I think I messed up. I passed up on a Steve Madden handbag for $3 and bought these instead. If I was to sell these, what could I get for them? First 3 are one bowl last 2 are a different. On the last pics (the bigger one) it says under the sticker AMERICAN BICENTENNIAL. Please help with prices! Thanks

image-3623083725.jpg

image-2445197733.jpg

image-749244909.jpg

image-1954507629.jpg

image-2831180733.jpg

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they are both plated.

So a few bucks a piece probably

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah ok. Guess I messed up this time. Roughly what do you think I could get out of them? I paid $10 and would like whatever I can get back!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ok. Guess I messed up this time. Roughly what do you think I could get out of them? I paid $10 and would like whatever I can get back!
Keep them until you have your own yard sale or use them if they fit in you're home for something, maybe fill them with something and gift them?

It's not always true but if you see a sticker or remnants of an original sticker on something you think is silver...it's not.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first big silver score were a couple of International Silver spoons. I was really excited to pay $3 each for them. DOH! If it has IS walk away, lol.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advise guys! I might convert them into something for detecting! I'll stick with it. I saw some pretty cool items that I know I could have made money on but I was in the mood to gamble hahahaha. Thanks again!

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first big silver score were a couple of International Silver spoons. I was really excited to pay $3 each for them. DOH! If it has IS walk away, lol.

Or anything with rogers on it!

I just bought a bunch of spoons the other day with 800 stamp on them, got home and tested them. You guessed it, not silver.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or anything with rogers on it!

I just bought a bunch of spoons the other day with 800 stamp on them, got home and tested them. You guessed it, not silver.
WHOA! Can you post a pic of the markings? I have made that mistake years ago...some 800 silver does not test well using the red acids. Often some bluish green will be showing through and around the edges of the test area along with a lighter color burgundy.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA! Can you post a pic of the markings? I have made that mistake years ago...some 800 silver does not test well using the red acids. Often some bluish green will be showing through and around the edges of the test area along with a lighter color burgundy.

image-345911655.jpg

I also have one or two more in the basement that say 800 and didnt test positive

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1006554

I also have one or two more in the basement that say 800 and didnt test positive
I'll buy all the 800 (non) silver spoons you have. lol!
The spoons you have pictured are 800 silver, German, made by the firm of F. Reusch & Sohne. German Hallmarks II, page 8 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
The J. Bergmann is probably the name of the company that sold them. For the most part 800 silver is not faked. It's the 925 stuff you have to watch out for.

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, maybe I should of said that I like them and would pay for shipping and a few dollars for the time. Hee hee!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't worry about these silver plate items not having much value, SC. I am sure we have all bought our share of duds. I sure have. One thing you might want to consider is keeping them to give as gifts. They appear to be in excellent condition. My wife does most of the gift buying in our house and she sometimes picks up brand new items at yard sales for her stash of emergency gifts for situations like office parties, etc. It's a great way to save some money.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple people at the auctions I go to tell me they wait till they have a lot saved up and take it to the scrapyard. I don't know how much they get for it but sometimes you end up with a lot of it in the box lots. If anyone knows how much it takes please chime in. Also I haven't found anything that said bi-centennial that was worth anything.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1006921

This is the color i get when i test it. Its a bluish color
Don't worry, that's exactly what you want to see. If it was not 800 silver you would see bluish green and nothing else after a minute. Use the acid on .925, a 90% coin and your silver and then something that known plate (file through the plate) and you will see the changes. I have bought, sold enough and melted enough through ARA of 800 silver I don't bother testing it anymore. The checks are wonderful by the way. Since silver prices are down you may want to put it away until it doubles in price. Maybe a decade or more. REGARDLESS, your items are fine.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That color is not bluish green although the hints of it may be around the edges like I said before. Buy some crap silver plate, grind off a nice square half inch and test, you will see the blue green and none of that beautiful 800 reaction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread