Laptops

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy hear, been looking at this part of the forum for a little while. Just started doing the garage sale thing a couple of weeks ago, now I'm hooked.

Haven't noticed anyone talk about laptops, but they have been good for me the past couple of weeks.

Two weekends ago, I picked one up for $40, then had someone BIN for $100 the same night. I tested it first.

This past weekend, I picked up another laptop for $20-

Dell Studio 1737 17" Notebook Core2Duo 2GHz 4GB 320GB Webcam HDMI Large | eBay

If you get them at a low enough price and they aren't too old, there is almost no risk. Most somewhat current laptops can be sold for parts for at least $40 or so.

LCD monitors are easy money-makers too, as long as you are cool with making $20-$30 for each one.

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I have done pretty good with them also. I picked up a newer Dell one two weeks ago for $100 and sold it for a BIN of $440. I have also picked up a few older ones for $5 each and sold them for $35-40.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
Thanks for the great advice. Thanks for sharing...

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
I too buy and sell laptops. Started out just collecting towers for recycle and migrated to laptops. Everyone wants a laptop. I finally got a good wholesaler that buys from government auctions 2-300 at a time. I sell 2 models a Dell e6400 and a dell d630. I get 8 e6400 for $500 and 8 d630 for $400. They come with already loaded 250-320 hard drives, 4 gb ram, OEM batteries and chargers. Here's my Clist add for the e6400 : UPDATED!!!Dell E6400 Core 2 Duo Laptop . I sell on average 2-3 each a week. I could probally get lots more but the volumn makes up for it.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to sell lots & lots of laptops (5-8 years ago), high dollar ones I was getting from shady type people for very cheap. I quit doing it because of the scammers on eBay! If I ran them auction style 1 out of 4 might be a legit sale & the other 3 were scammers who bid the computer way up to almost twice what they were worth and then sent fake paypal emails saying they paid. It became more of a hassle than anything, I had to start running them as BIN only & you couldn't complete the deal without really paying thru paypal. This killed the profit margin a lot because the BIN ones always sold for less than the ones that were ran auction style. With BIN you had to be cheaper than the other BIN prices. Laptops that I was getting $400-$500 for went town to $300ish with BIN instead of auction style. That was just to much of a price drop for me & all thanks to wanna be scam artists trying to get free laptops. Geese all the reasons i have to hate eBay!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I use to sell lots & lots of laptops (5-8 years ago), high dollar ones I was getting from shady type people for very cheap. I quit doing it because of the scammers on eBay! If I ran them auction style 1 out of 4 might be a legit sale & the other 3 were scammers who bid the computer way up to almost twice what they were worth and then sent fake paypal emails saying they paid. It became more of a hassle than anything, I had to start running them as BIN only & you couldn't complete the deal without really paying thru paypal. This killed the profit margin a lot because the BIN ones always sold for less than the ones that were ran auction style. With BIN you had to be cheaper than the other BIN prices. Laptops that I was getting $400-$500 for went town to $300ish with BIN instead of auction style. That was just to much of a price drop for me & all thanks to wanna be scam artists trying to get free laptops. Geese all the reasons i have to hate eBay!
This seems strange. In one sentence, you basically admit to fencing stolen items, And then complain about eBay scammers? Just wondering.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems strange. In one sentence, you basically admit to fencing stolen items, And then complain about eBay scammers? Just wondering.

Na I don't know that they were stolen (as far as I know they weren't as that is not their way) so you're making huge assumptions but the people were shady characters then again so are a few of the auction houses owners around here. The same guys I dealt with now only deal with a couple local auction houses & these places knowing take in counterfeit goods from them (like Beats by Dre headphones) & these are not even the shady auction houses, go figure. These guys are foreign (Ukrainian) & they are a lot different type of people than I am, their fast paced and they don't BS around either! Just dealing with the shady sellers wasn't a big deal but when it became dealing with both shady sellers & scammer buyers it was all too much! I was kinda happy to wipe my hands of it but I missed the $$$$. I must have sold 300 or more laptops over a couple year time frame & if they were stolen I think something would have happened in that time dealing with that many machines. Only 1 item was ever reported back to me as stolen in my whole 15 year eBay career & that was a pre paid tracfone cell phone (I gave $1 for at a garage sale) that the buyer got a hold of me & said when he tried to have it turned on it came back as stolen. I refunded his $20 including shipping & all was good. I figure either he lied to me or these people reported their phone lost or stolen to get a new one thru insurance & I got screwed out of a few bucks & it sure wasn't worth pursuing over a couple bucks! Anytime you buy electronics from anywhere used you're taking a chance of it being stolen especially when we get deals like paying a couple dollars for something we get $100 or more out of. Jewelry & electronics are the 2 things people on here buy to make $ on that at any time are quite possibly stolen items especially when you pay pennies on the dollar for such an item. But when you find a steady source for the same items on the cheap they have to be stolen is what you're saying? SMH!

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get them at a low enough price and they aren't too old, there is almost no risk. Most somewhat current laptops can be sold for parts for at least $40 or so.

I buy them too, but I only pay $1.00 I don't care if working or not I buy them to recycle, but they are too hard and time consuming to tear down so now I have at least 15 neatly piled in a corner waiting for something.

Those that I can fire up and work good I try to sell on ebay.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Inspectorgadget, sorry to hit a sore spot with you, but what you are describing is theft by receiving which is a felony. You laid out the circumstances, and they strongly hint at you knowing the items were stolen. Just because your "supplier" didn't say they were stolen doesn't make them not. Ignorance is not an excuse, as most judges will state. Of course, this is all hypothetical as I know nothing about your particular case. Just yankin ya, man. 😛

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread