Vintage fountain pen nibs, who knew?!

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I didn't even know what these were when I bought them I thought they were ink cartridges, didn't take a good look at them really figured they might be worth $20 for the lot. But they were old and for a dollar I couldn't leave them on the table even if they turned out to be trash I had to know. Now I wish I had asked if they had any other fountain pen stuff to go with it all. 58 nibs in total all different fineness's. Apparently these go for between $6 and $20 a piece plus shipping(which would be cheap anyway). What do you all think, put them all up as a lot for $400 hoping for a quick sale or do the long haul wait and sell them piece by piece to try to maximize profit? In any case this is way more profit than my usual scores and I am pretty psyched.
3LdK9eb.jpg
KsrnNcg.jpg

Last edited:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Score. Fountain pens are very collectible
Be on the lookout for gold nibs too! Even if the pen is junk you can scrap the gold.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that's all up to you. You need to ask yourself, whats your time worth. Sell all in one shot, your done with it. Selling them separately could take a long time.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would list one by it now or best offer and then have a quantity of more than 10. Or maybe do five by it now or best offer in the quantity of however many lots of five you wanted to do.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are of use only to fp collectors like mysef. And the value comes from the type of nib, with the less common ones being more valuable.

Most collectors, unless they are also repairers and dealers, will not be looking to buy in a big lot. Esterbrook is a very popular make, though.

Check the Sold listings for both how to group them and an idea what to ask.

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I listed a lot of five, one of each kind I have, as a test run. I don't want them to go too cheap so set a start bid of $50, BIN option for $110(I know, probably unreasonable but who knows) just testing the waters. The only other 2048s on ebay right now are an auction for two of them that is ending in 16 hours and is at $41 and a BIN for $74.99 that they sold one of a few weeks back at that price. We'll see how it goes. Oh and I decided this would be a good time to try selling internationally so I clicked that little box to do so via the GSP. I figure this is probably an incredibly low scam category and I don't have much to lose in any case.

Last edited:

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on those nibs. Something else for me to watch for now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread