Crazy gold question.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you set a piece of white gold jewelry in 14 K acid Will the white gold turn to yellow? Or am I loosing my mind? The necklace holds on 10K and also 14k. And if I let it sit in the acid it turned from white to yellow but it's still tests for gold. I don't have any other white gold to compare it to the see if any other piece does the same. But it was in a jewelry bag today. and the other end is broken off. The bag of jewelry was $3 and should this be real the weight 37 g. I think I will have to run it by a jewelers. image-2270880057.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple, the acid ate the rhodium plating off since white gold is plated with rhodium to make it appear "white".

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple, the acid ate the rhodium plating off since white gold is plated with rhodium to make it appear "white".

Your right, that's what I read late last night. But it's 10k. Confirmed. Next it will probably be made into a large cross or something that can be worn instead of selling it as scrap. A jeweler friend of ours will make whatever I want to for $35! I still think it's 14k though... :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was confirmed 10k, why do you think its 14k? :dontknow: great score at any karat.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:unhappysmiley:
Your right, that's what I read late last night. But it's 10k. Confirmed. Next it will probably be made into a large cross or something that can be worn instead of selling it as scrap. A jeweler friend of ours will make whatever I want to for $35! I still think it's 14k though...

One part of recasting your great find into something else is to remember to ask who gets to keep the gold from the sprews and gates going into the new object that was cast. That scrap gold may very well be worth more than your payment of $35 to your friend...:icon_scratch:

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Well when I tested on the 14 karat gold acid it stays with that too. So I'm going to get a second opinion also. At some point.

Is it stamped? I plate heavy acid gold then flash it with 16kt, 18kt, 24kt.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Well when I tested on the 14 karat gold acid it stays with that too. So I'm going to get a second opinion also. At some point.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not stamped. But the class is also missing two on the other end. Half of the necklace or part of it is not there. So I have no way of knowing what would have been marked. But he Melted a piece of it into a ball and then acid test that.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Earl....never heard about heavy acid gold. Read a bit about plating process. Seems it is pretty good quality? Im urious what you are plating?

Beachkid...great score...hoping its real. Let us know.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you run it by a pawn shop, they will xray it for you. Great find!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you run it by a pawn shop, they will xray it for you. Great find!

Awsome, I'll check it out, I won't be able to get there Til Wednesday though. Something about taking 4 kids with me sounds like a bad time!! Have to wait Til my wife is off work.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chain that was that same link style years & years ago (maybe 20 years) & I remember it so well because it was 12K & I found that strange. Maybe this is why you're getting funny acid test results?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a chain that was that same link style years & years ago (maybe 20 years) & I remember it so well because it was 12K & I found that strange. Maybe this is why you're getting funny acid test results?

OH, yeah! That makes a lot of sense! Very good point.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That doesn't mean gold filled right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread