Pottery/ceramic signature help

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this piece in a box of stuff I bought. I don't know a lot about pottery or ceramics so any help with the signature would be greatly appreciated as I just can't figure it out. Oh it's 15" x 6" but I guess that doesn't really matter for what I'm asking here.
DSC03466.JPG DSC03468.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Fineman maybe?

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Fineman maybe?

That was a good answer but I don't find another sig of his that in any way resembles this signature. I'm not saying it isn't his sig but the ones I saw were not in cursive & fancy like this is signed. It does resemble some of his work minus any scaly, fish, fern or peacock type pattern in this piece that all of his pieces that were somewhat similar to this piece had. Tho the colors are almost right on par with what he usually used. Thanks for the help!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Email him and ask. I saw a cpuple of printed signatures as well, but you never know, he have changed how he signs them. [email protected]

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely see Jim.

After that, maybe Turner. Not even sure if that is an artist.

I agree definitely Jim!

Email him and ask. I saw a cpuple of printed signatures as well, but you never know, he have changed how he signs them. [email protected]

I sent him an email with a pic so we will find out soon enough! I'm also hoping if it's not him that maybe he will know the sig since after all he is in the business.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH... got a response from Jim & we were so far off it's almost funny. Well other than it being Carolina pottery, so we were in the right state! It's not a Jim Fineman piece & it doesn't even say Jim in that sig...lol! Its a piece by Hank Goodman Home | Hank Goodman Stoneware It says Goodman on the back in that sig! Just leave it to a potter to identify another potter! Thanks for your help! Mine appears to be the bowtie type of tray he makes that goes for $125 new in a different color. And I found this one that is really close http://www.pinterest.com/pin/161144492887748439/ for what looks to me like its marked $40 or $48?
http://www.carolinacreationsnewbern.com/NewFiles/Hank-Goodman-Bowtie-Tray-Long.php

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least he was able to indentify it. I wouldn't have gotten "Goodman" from that signature in a year of guessing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread