Another score off my "honey hole" ivory and gold!

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I met up with the very nice woman who sold me the really nice sterling. She has continues to unload some of her moms stuff and found these three pieces.

10k ruby pendant
Did some research and this is. Pretty old piece, most sold where listed as "Art Deco lavaliere"
Weighs .6g

18k child's necklace
Marked 750 and took me FOREVER to untangle
Weighs 1.4g

Ivory bangles
Two very old ivory bangle bracelets. Based on my research and her word I am certain these are real ivory. I'm a dummy and broke one getting into my car...doh!

Any tips on selling the ivory? It is clearly made before the ban so I should be good. Everything on the bay that is real is listed as "faux" to get around the listing policies...any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-2601122373.jpg
    image-2601122373.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3790890254.jpg
    image-3790890254.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-918512683.jpg
    image-918512683.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 99

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter when it was made you are not supposed to sell real ivory on eBay but ya the way people get around it is with great pix that show that it is real & calling it faux.. People also use Fo too but it seems more listings listed as fo get pulled than they do if it's listed as faux. Sometimes the ad gets flagged & pulled & sometimes they don't. I know some one recently who had a terrible time listing some scrimshaw whale teeth because the listing kept getting cancelled & she had sold them before on several occasions without any problems. The way to tell if it is real is the buttery smoothness they should have & the crosshatch grain real tusk ivory always has. I can see the grain in those & they look real to me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya it's definately real ivory, it's very smooth and has the cross hatching. She said she took it to two jewelers as well that also confirmed.

Any ideas on where I can legally off load these?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya it's definately real ivory, it's very smooth and has the cross hatching. She said she took it to two jewelers as well that also confirmed.

Any ideas on where I can legally off load these?

Id eBay them, it isn't like you will or could get arrested worse thing that can happen is them pull your ad. Otherwise a local auction house or craigslist or a Facebook garage sale page.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread