Worth the fix?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through a box of jewelry I found this brooch. It is sign Sherman and they look to go for a pretty good amount of money. Anywhere from $35-$100+. But the pin is broken off the back of it. I'm pretty sure my jeweler could fix? Maybe...

image-1056631466.jpg

image-3324898702.jpg

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you deal with so much jewelry, maybe you should learn how to do your own jewelry repairs

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you deal with so much jewelry, maybe you should learn how to do your own jewelry repairs

Lol. Probably a good idea. I hate projects though, hopefully after Christmas I'll sell off most my junk and I can focus on other stuff too

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little dab of solder will do ya. You could buy a little soldering iron and a roll of lead free solder for way cheaper than taking it and having it done. Either that or just use a dab of JBweld.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little dab of solder will do ya. You could buy a little soldering iron and a roll of lead free solder for way cheaper than taking it and having it done. Either that or just use a dab of JBweld.

I will look for one out at the sales,, I see them often, but am usually not on the look for them at the time.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found very often the cost of repairs don't come back. I just mention the simple repairs can be done by any competent jewelry. That's just been my experience. Plus I've seen my damaged items sell higher then some perfect of the same a few times. I don't get it, but I shoot for easy come, easy go. I think the phrase "it's been repaired" could be a downer to some buyers.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found very often the cost of repairs don't come back. I just mention the simple repairs can be done by any competent jewelry. That's just been my experience. Plus I've seen my damaged items sell higher then some perfect of the same a few times. I don't get it, but I shoot for easy come, easy go. I think the phrase "it's been repaired" could be a downer to some buyers.

Seconding this. A repair does not guarantee a higher sale price, and if you are honest about disclosing the repair, you are turning off potential buyers. I would rather buy broken and have someone I trust repair it than buy what might be a hatchet job. The price difference on this wouldn't justify the investment in tools or a jeweler, IMO, if you are properly accounting for your time, risk of damage, etc.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 2 to 5 repairs done a month on pieces. My usual criteria is base on how much the item will sell for fixed versus broken. If the items repair is around 15pct of I usually have it repaired (This is usually for items under 200 Dollars and depending on the money I have in the piece).

I find I try not to use the word repair in my descriptions. If I was describing your item I would state it something like this. Brooch was missing the pin. I just had a jeweler attach a new one please see Pic Number XXX, as I highlighted so you could see the work.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread