Swimming in it!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
John Naber won 4 Olympic Gold Medals in 1976. Every year, on June 23, he puts on an Olympic Day event in Pasadena. Last night was the event. He has me gather the Olympic collectors, I set up tables and we show off and talk about our collections to the people before the event. Lase night, at the end of the event, he told the collectors to meet him at his car, he had some old stuff for us. The 8 of us hung around, and he explained that he was going to sell the stuff out of the box. Bids are $1 increments, maximum bid was $20. If you say, "$20," auction is over, it is yours. He starts to pull stuff out, and some of it is interesting, books by Annie Liebowitz about the Olympics. Autographed items that he had been given. Cool, but nothing that rocked my boat (I generally don't like hanging collectibles). He pulls out a tube of posters. Budweiser asked him to paint "swimming" and they made it into posters and distributed them. I bought 5 of his posters for $3. He is going to autograph them for me, so that's pretty cool.

Next item out of the box, as soon as I see what it is, I yell, "$20!" It is a Peanuts poster from a Banquet in Santa Rosa (where Charles Schultz lived), it was autographed on the bottom, "For John, Charles Schultz" uh... rare print from a sports banquet, autographed by Charles Schultz to John Naber, the Guest of Honor? I think so!

Next item out of the box John says, "Oh, these are cool, these are the certificates I got for setting worlds records."
"$20!" 8 certificates, 7 of them from when he was at the Olympics in Montreal, one for the trials for Montreal... 3 from the U.S. Swimming Coaches association. 5 from FINA, the international body that governs everything swimming... $2.50 per certificate! He's offered to meet me in Pasadena to autograph everything. I was thinking it would be better to write up a letter for each item, explaining what each item was, then having him sign the letter and have it notarized to PROVE what they are and that they were his... Do you think that is the right way to go about this?
20140624_095114.jpg 20140624_095322.jpg 20140624_095350.jpg 20140624_095420.jpg 20140624_095447.jpg 20140624_095509.jpg 20140624_095743.jpg 20140624_095817.jpg 20140624_095855.jpg

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Autographed Schultz Peanuts item is amazing.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The Autographed Schultz Peanuts item is amazing.

The cartoon is a print for the specific event, on thin cardboard or thick paper. The autograph is real, and a notarized letter from John Naber explaining the "For John." Should lock it in as perhaps the best $20 I've ever spent. If only the drawing were original. I would be set to pay for my kids college education... As it stands, it should buy a book or two.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. As far as the letter/s of authenticity go, how can you have them notarized unless you bring your notary with you? Supposed to be signed "in the presence of".

I bought a several postcards from the 1936 Berlin summer Olympics and the 1936 Winter Olympics at Garmisch-Partenkirchen recently.

Speaking of Olympic swimming here's a little tidbit for ya... The 1936 Olympic swim champion still spends an hour in the pool every day. He is 95 years old. 1936 Olympic swim champion still in pool daily at 95 | OlympicTalk

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. As far as the letter/s of authenticity go, how can you have them notarized unless you bring your notary with you? Supposed to be signed "in the presence of".

John will meet me at the Notary's business (banks, mailbox stores, and many other places have Notary Public available. Normally, I am figuring $10 to $15 per document). As long as it is in Pasadena, he's good to meet me there. I run the Olympic Collectable part of the Olympic Day event. He uses that as a springboard to bring in various groups. Former Olympians show up to show off their stuff. Olympic fans show up to see the stuff, and watch the presentation.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
now I am thinking that the letters would look better if there were on his letterhead. What do you think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread