WWII Fighter Planes - Artwork Help Please!

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these two framed pieces from a garage sale at a really, really nice home this weekend. If I'm not mistaken, they depict WWII fight planes. Both German and US. They have a shiney, metallic look to them and a gallary sticker on the back. Couldn't find the gallery online. How would you list and sell these? How much would you ask for them?

ForumRunner_20140625_144752.png

ForumRunner_20140625_144812.png

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like WWI planes to me, very interesting. The second looks like a Sopwith Camel, the US plane, that would probably be a German Fokker being shot down. I'm not well versed enough on the WWI planes to know the first picture. Unfortunately got no idea on market pricing, but hope I'm helping a little bit. Take care.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
WW1 not WW2.I dont know the planes in the first picture,maybe spads,the second picture is a sopwith camel,maybe Roy Brown,the german plane might be the Red Baron.cant tell if its a fokker triplane or not.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like John Berkey prints. Some of his prints are rather pricey.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
The first picture looks to be a British Bristol Fighter.

Second picture looks to be a Nieuport 17. A french Plane but flown by the Brits too.

Last edited:

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The first picture looks to be a British Bristol Fighter.

Second picture looks to be a Nieuport 17. A french Plane but flown by the Brits too.
+1 Agreed. By the way, the Sopwith Camel was a British plane that was also flown by Americans in WWI. American aviation at the time was far behind the Europeans, so when the US entered the war mostly British and French aircraft were used.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the information so far. Do you think there are collectors out there for these?

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Are these limited editions? There will be a number beside the artist signature if they are. You might contact Virginia Bader Aviation Gallery in Virginia. Although they specialize in WW2 aviation art she also carries WW1 art as well. Do an online search. I believe it is vbader.com. They should be able to help you. There are quite a few collectors of aviation art out there. I am one of them. I have 36 limited edition prints in my collection signed by the pilots that I purchased back in the 1980's. All have more than doubled in value. One in particular I paid $275.00 for and it is now worth $2500.00. Good luck.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
German plane in the first one appears to be a Pflaz maybe a D-III, would match the timeframe of the Bristol Fighter.

With a shorter wingspan and same tail as the D-VII, the 2nd photo would seem that a DR-I Triplane is correct. I'd also second the Nieport 17. Wing Struts are right for it (V shaped). Camel had parallel Struts.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever see the WW1 movie "Fly Boys"? Has to be the stupidest most ill researched movie i have ever seen:laughing9: They had all the german planes done up in red,AKA the red barons plane colors.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that and laughed at it. My favorite WWI Aerial movie was The Blue Maxx.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I try taking it out of the frame and look for a signature?

I could help. Also, it looks they the first one should be rotated 90 degrees with the ground down. It appears it has shifted and not secured to stay in place any longer.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search John Berkey wings of glory.

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, do take them out of the frames. The artist signature should be on the bottom of the paintings. The paintings are overlapped by the frames.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With a shorter wingspan and same tail as the D-VII, the 2nd photo would seem that a DR-I Triplane is correct. I'd also second the Nieport 17. Wing Struts are right for it (V shaped). Camel had parallel Struts.

I guess the artist did as good researching as whoever did flyboys lol,if thats suppose to be the Red Baron and Roy Brown,Brown flew a camel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread