Found a GOLD mine today!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at the consignment store dropping off more stuff. The girl says to me, Do you like gold and platinum? Uh, YEAH! However, they always over price their stuff. So I figure let me just look.

First thing I pick up a ruby and diamond ring. I ask how much. $200. Yeah, I'll take it.
2014-06-25 14.34.47.jpg

I take the ring and my watches to my jeweler. (Yeah, the watches are real, and he asked me to leave them over night; he may buy them off me.) So they look at the ring, and he gives me a rough guesstimate of about $2,200! I am flipping out! I didn't think THAT much. And all the guys who are looking at it tell me it is very old. The rubies are pink rubies.

I showed them my locket that they mismarked for costume at $12. It's 14K. They said that one is very old as well. The hallmark is on the bail. There are pictures on it; I don't know who they are. I have to get good shots of it to look it up.
2014-06-25 17.12.53.jpg 2014-06-25 17.12.48.jpg

So I call back the store, and tell them to hold the other pieces for me; I'm going to buy them. I dropped another $500 there, but look what I got:
14K white gold pearl and diamond vintage ring; $85 (weighs 6.6 grams total)
2014-06-25 17.13.42.jpg 2014-06-25 17.13.51.jpg

14K white gold diamond and sapphire vintage ring; $120, total weight is 8.68 grams
2014-06-25 17.14.38.jpg 2014-06-25 17.13.57.jpg

I kept debating back and forth on these. They felt heavy. I don't think I will end up making too much of a profit on them--
18K yellow & white gold diamond swirl vintage earrings; $275; 12.79 grams
2014-06-25 17.15.25.jpg 2014-06-25 17.15.30.jpg

So why did they price it all so low when they usually go so high? They ran across the street to the "We Buy Gold" store and this is how much they were going to buy it from them ... bahahaha! scrap value, from a store that was giving 50% of spot!!!! Oh my. I love it! I do think that these are vintage, and will go higher because of that. I've been trying to find similar ones.

Thanks for looking. ps-- When I got home, UPS came. they dropped off a package, my hubby got me a new lap top (finally!). Wow, today is an AWESOME day.

Now -- WHERE DO I GET THE MOST MONEY FOR SELLING THESE BABIES??? (Not the ruby one; that's an early birthday present for myself.) The appraisal I am getting for my ring is costing me $45. I don't want to spend a small fortune on appraisals for all these.

Oh yeah ... on my way out the door, I said, Aren't you glad I popped in today? That was an easy sale. (the woman who consigned them had been in the store an hour before me). She said, Aren't you glad we didn't sell them to the We Buy Gold store. (Hell yea!)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did great!

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The diamond and ruby ring appraised for $1,895. Hubby keeps saying to sell it. I keep saying no. I never, ever find rubies!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sapphire ring sold to my friend! No pictures, no ebay fees. Everyone is happy.

Do you get an appraisal if you have a high ticket item? The jeweler today told me that the earrings are very, very good earrings. I heard him telling the other guy, Look at the diamonds on there. He said to list it for a grand. I was thinking I should get the appraisal so I can say the diamonds are good. What do you think?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sapphire ring sold to my friend! No pictures, no ebay fees. Everyone is happy.

Do you get an appraisal if you have a high ticket item? The jeweler today told me that the earrings are very, very good earrings. I heard him telling the other guy, Look at the diamonds on there. He said to list it for a grand. I was thinking I should get the appraisal so I can say the diamonds are good. What do you think?

I'm sure she is thrilled. That is a beauty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread