Electronic scrapping

allenkeeton

Jun 26, 2014
cartersville, GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
some local recyclers take them or can give you info on who does. as far as taking stuff out. take usable parts out and always take your hard drive out. if you don't plan on using your hard drive anymore, hit it with a hammer to bust it up. people can actually use that and recover sensitive information.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshua, I buy cells and computers all the time. I have a recycler in FL that buys all the cells and greenboards I can ship and he pays pretty good and picks up the freight. Right now I have over 450 cells and 40-50 lbs of greenboards almost ready to go.

I always pay 50¢ for cells and $1.50 for tower computers. I did make an exception yesterday I bought an apple iMac blue&white plastic all in one computer/monitor for $2.00

ship your cells minus batts and backs to FL if they are trashed. My buyer, Jack, sometimes can resell the nicer phones, ship with charger iand backs if you can. He pays extra for these phones.

in the computers pull all green boards. I do not ship RAM, CPU and harddrive greenboards to Jack. They are all worth more on ebay.

the hard drive body (no disks or guts) is solid aluminum that goes to my local recycler. and the case and powersupply and all disk/DVD drive bodies also go to a recycler. for breakage.

everypart can be recycled.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What price is he paying for greenboards cyberdan?

When scrapping any greenboards you should always cut all the gold connectors off the boards that have them (like the strip of gold connectors on ram chips) but instead off the video boards & other plug in type boards (modems, graphic cards & any card you can add to a PC tower). Or any pins that are gold plated too. I use tin snips to cut the boards & pliers to remove the pins. Large amounts of those gold connectors are worth a lot on eBay, well more than what you can get out of greenboards as a whole so no reason not to cut them off! I don't cut ram chips up as they sell in quantity very well for a descent price for gold & palladium recovery.

Last edited:

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before selling for scrap, always check prices on your parts separately. Some cpu's ram, boards and peripherals, sell for a good amount and some of the older stuff is pretty collectible. Ive torn down several towers and a server in the last few weeks, but Im not going to even try to sell anything until I get a lot more.

OP
OP
J

joshua2

Apr 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What price is he paying for greenboards cyberdan?

When scrapping any greenboards you should always cut all the gold connectors off the boards that have them

Different board grades go for different prices. Here is a recent list (all prices per pound)
A Boards $1.50
B Boards $1.00
D Boards $0.55
Finger Cards $1.75 (plug in cards)
Server Boards $1.75
Hard drive Boards $5.00

I save all my CPU, RAM and HD boards for sale in the future.

I believe if you sent Jack boards with all the gold cut off he might refuse the order.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different board grades go for different prices. Here is a recent list (all prices per pound)
A Boards $1.50
B Boards $1.00
D Boards $0.55
Finger Cards $1.75 (plug in cards)
Server Boards $1.75
Hard drive Boards $5.00

I save all my CPU, RAM and HD boards for sale in the future.

I believe if you sent Jack boards with all the gold cut off he might refuse the order.

Ya when selling for real money you don't cut off the gold! I'm more so talking for those who scrap boards for $0.10- $0.15 per Lb. at local scrap yards (& that is all they pay around here for them). I know a few people who scrap electronics & only get $0.10 Lb. They barely cover the cost of their gas! I have offered to pay them $1 per Lb for CPU's & RAM & they don't ever take me up on it. I can't figure out how my offer that is 10X higher than what they get out of those same items is ignored? Some scrappers are beyond brain dead around here & I'm not kidding one bit!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few people who scrap electronics & only get $0.10 Lb.
they won't even consider selling you the computers for $1 - $1.50? You pull what you like and then GIVE them back the case and powersupply. That is a win/win. But then if you are a zombie you just walk off in a haze.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they won't even consider selling you the computers for $1 - $1.50? You pull what you like and then GIVE them back the case and powersupply. That is a win/win. But then if you are a zombie you just walk off in a haze.

Dan it's worse than that! These guys scrap the boards & wire only then they take the metal to a guy who strictly scraps mixed metal (again another brain dead guy who's to dumb to separate the metals) so they get nothing for the aluminum or BS steel, nope they just give it away to someone who sells it in a stupid fashon. I asked them to put the ram & cpu's on the side & sell just those to me & they said "why we don't eBay" I said What does that have to do what I just told you I'd offer you? Like you said their like zombies! They like tearing the computers apart (their retired & it gives em something to do). So no they won't sell the whole computer but damn I just want some small pieces that they get nothing out of! These are not friends they are scrappers from a large auction I attend regularly.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspector, you hit yardsales just add "old or broken computers for recycling" to your questions at every yard sale. I usually get at least 2 everyweek and sometimes I fill my HHR bed (with the back seats down) I "offer" $1.50 for towers and $1 for laptops. I never say pay I always "offer".

Last week I broke my rule and paid $2.00 for an all in one blue & white plastic iMac. havn't tested it yet. need cords, keyboard and mouse. I wonder if the PC ones will work, probably not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread