First gold find and very aggressive yard salers

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I went to a garage sale at 7am and there was already 6 of the "regulars" there. ( I guess I am one of them now too...lol)

Some of them are really crazy and pushy. Two people were standing back-to- back in front of the garage door. The lady was elbowing the guy. They both were peeking through the mail slot.

ForumRunner_20140630_220202.png

There was a rush when the door opened. I only found a small sugar spoon in the utensil bin that no one bothered to look for. I was happy.

Most left quickly. As I and another lady I often see were looking through the jewelry box, one of the kids running it accuses the lady of stealing a ring. I think she probably did but did not see it and nothing came of it.

I then went to another sale, got there early, chatted with lady running it, but she said she was not ready so I went to get a coffee. By the time I came back, the guy who was peeking through the mail slot was there. He was super pushy, kept trying to look through stuff even though she said she was not ready, and finally said " you may want to open early so you can get started before the rush comes". She ignored him...lol

So while looking through assorted jewelry. I found 2 rings:
- 9k 2.4 gram Irish Claddagh ring (lots of marks)
- 10k 4.1 gram 1922 HS ring with woman's name engraved

I also found a chain and cross. Loop of the cross was marked but hard to read. At first I thought it was gold filled. However it was really heavy. The chain was same cut as cross and very good quality. The clasp was missing so no marks on the chain. It turned out to be 9.2g 22k.

Funny thing was the regular guy was grabbing every piece of silver jewelry he could but ignored these. He noticed when I picked them up and did not put them down. I was really excited with finds!

ForumRunner_20140630_221636.png

So I read another post about people sitting on silver and waiting for it to rise, but was curious about thoughts on gold?

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is up right now. I scrapped a week ago and was happy to get $1,319. I see now that it's up to $1,327.

It's a hard call. It went down a drop. Watch it, and if it seems to be going up, sit a drop. If it is hovering or dropping, scrap. Just my thoughts.

awesome finds!! I've never seen 22K gold anything except plated. and Bwahaha on the loser looking for silver.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is up right now. I scrapped a week ago and was happy to get $1,319. I see now that it's up to $1,327.

It's a hard call. It went down a drop. Watch it, and if it seems to be going up, sit a drop. If it is hovering or dropping, scrap. Just my thoughts.

awesome finds!! I've never seen 22K gold anything except plated. and Bwahaha on the loser looking for silver.

Gold is not what I call up.. It was at $1900 when silver peaked at over $45. Silver is down more than gold is but gold is still down too! I have lots of gold I'm holding onto until it goes back to $1900 or hopefully even higher! Over the past 15 years gold & silver have peaked out about a year or less before the presidential election & then it drops after that. That is the trend I've noticed. If the trend holds true gold should hit $2000+ & silver should hit $50 in about another year or year & a half.

If you can buy silver under spot for the same % as you can buy gold under spot you stand to make more from the silver especially scrapping wise)! Or even paying spot you will make out much better buying silver right now rather than buying gold as gold is about 30% down from its high & silver is down well over 50% from it's high.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sitting on all the PM's I am buying for now, that is totally up to you as only you know if you need to replenish your buying money. I have to deal with aggressive competition here also. Great scores by the way! Good luck!....... Scott.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sitting on what I can afford to. If I spend a couple bucks on it, I'll keep it. If I spent $100 or more I'll resell it on eBay. That only happens once in awhile. I hate selling gold though too. One day I'll sell it but it needs to be worth a lot more than it is! Although I have three chains if I sold them I could probably pay my van off! Lol.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As I was reading the OP thread, I was thinking to myself, "sounds like what I deal with in my neck of the woods regularly".

Then I realized the OP is in NJ!

LOL

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was reading the OP thread, I was thinking to myself, "sounds like what I deal with in my neck of the woods regularly".

Then I realized the OP is in NJ!

LOL

Haha...I'm originally from South Jersey (not far from Berlin Auction). However, I'm in San Francisco these days. Seems like there are a ton of people from NJ on tnet. Wonder how many people are from the Bay Area.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I don't get hung up on gold and silver. First, I'm in an area where almost all GS sellers are informed and you don't see it that often. Second, I see people spending too much time searching the costume for a hidden treasure of gold or silver when I am grabbing stuff I know I can immediately sell. Third, I'm making far more money on my non-gold/silver items percentage-wise.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get hung up on gold and silver. First, I'm in an area where almost all GS sellers are informed and you don't see it that often. Second, I see people spending too much time searching the costume for a hidden treasure of gold or silver when I am grabbing stuff I know I can immediately sell. Third, I'm making far more money on my non-gold/silver items percentage-wise.

Same here. If I find gold and silver, that's great but I don't go out of my way looking for it. While PM hunters usually have blinders on and the Haitians in South Florida are busy digging through the clothes and stealing garbage, I'm scooping up the high profit goods that are right in front of their faces. It always amazes me how many people walk right by the stuff that is worth a hundred or more in profit.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ever watch what other people are buying and just shake your head?

Quite often. I attend an auction & watch people pay (or over pay) for items that get thrown away at this same auction. Most board games get tossed in the trash by the people who got some in pallet lots. I probably have over 100 board games (many vintage that have value) I got there for free. Then some weeks a new person requests these same games off pallets & pays stupid money for them when they could have got them out of the trash if they just waited. I understand they don't know this but that is why it's better to go just watch an auction (especially a very large auction house) first before you ever go to buy things. Many new people get ran up by the regulars & thus make them over pay for these items.

Board games are just a good example that I know of as it goes on with a lot more than just games.

I must agree with some others that PM's are one of the last thing I look for at garage sales & auctions! Too much competition & it's the lazy mans way of treasure hunting in my opinion. PM's are what you seek out when you don't know how to spot the real items of value at sales! People knocking themselves out to buy 1-2 grams of 14K for $10-$20 makes little since while I'm buying this hunk of (they have no idea what) for $1 that I'll get $250 out of! Everyone knows gold & silver has value so that is almost not treasure hunting in my world! To me real treasure hunting is recognizing the value of a way underpriced item that everyone else is overlooking! Sure I'll buy gold & silver but I just don't hunt for it when most sales have other items that have a much greater profit percentage possibility. I watch people walk right buy great items (that I end up buying for pennies & selling for hundreds) & watch them pay $20 for something they can resell for $40 or maybe $50. It's their lack of knowledge that I love!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand they don't know this but that is why it's better to go just watch an auction (especially a very large auction house) first before you ever go to buy things. Many new people get ran up by the regulars & thus make them over pay for these items.

Board games are just a good example that I know of as it goes on with a lot more than just games.

My friend took me around with her off and on for a year before I started buying, with her by my side. I still made a ton of mistakes; it's a learning process.

I've been looking for Pente, and refuse to pay the fortune I see it for around here. ($45 for the last 18 months ... maybe the owner should realize it's not going to sell for that much???).

I get blown away by the stores that don't price their stuff right. Gold and pearl earrings for a buck. Thank you very much, but isn't it your job to know what you are selling???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread