ALMOST?

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ALMOST?

Stopped by the local Goodwill Store yesterday! Spotted 2 Ansel Adams Framed Prints! I thought I'd seen similar on the ARS. I got to the Cashier & he said since there was no Price Stickers on them, he couldn't sell them until Tomorrow! (Showed me a Rule) So, I said, "I'll be back first thing tomorrow!" I was. Guess what? Nobody knew what I was talking about! The same Cashier said He was so busy, he couldn't remember the incident! ::)
Did I lose out, Big Time? >:(

Joe

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ALMOST?

He probably decided to keep them himself after 20 people asked him about them. Wouldn't be suprised if they were already resold for a tidy profit.

Bummer >:(

D.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't kid yourselves. It's very rare for anything of value to get out to the general public through goodwill. Most, if not all stores/employees have deals with local antique dealers and collectors or are collectors themselves and in one case that I know of, the local antique dealer's wife is the manager of the goodwill in the next town...

Sign on my attorney's desk:

"All I ask for is an honest advantage"

JG

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think you should loose any sleep. . . I have seen countless offset printed reproductions that are sold as decorative pieces that look like the real McCoy, er, I mean Adams. In 1992, I attended a photographic workshop given by Ansel's photographic assistant, John Sexton and saw first-hand many of Ansel's original photographs at his home in Carmel, CA. Ansel's original, silver gelatin photographic prints were signed in pencil in the lower right corner (just under the image) and then over-matted with a white beveled "window" mat that was about 1/4" to 3/8" larger than the actual trimmed photo image. On the reverse side of the white mounting board, Ansel would hand-write the date the photo was printed in the darkroom and, the date the original negative was made. He was VERY meticulous in this procedure. The only other possibility that I can think of would be that for several years before 1974, Ansel did occasionally sign some 8x10 prints of Yosemite that were sold in the Yosemite gift shop. In any event, if the two prints you saw in the thrift store were archivally matted and framed and signed in PENCIL and reverse stamped as described, then I might not sleep as well.

I hope this helps,
watercolor

OP
OP
buscadero

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

WC: I wish that I knew as much about A.A. as you do, maybe saved me a little less anxiety! These Prints were Framed & Matted, & the Backs were sealed. Hoping they were cheap decor items!!!! :'(

Thanks, Joe

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

buscadero. . . I know how frustrating it is when you think you let something like this slip by. You feel like kicking yourself for weeks but, you saved your money and the the guy behind the counter who gave you the runaround, most likely got what he deserved. . . some cheap Adams reproductions and a PO'd wife when he got home. When I hit the thrift stores, I carry a 10x magnifying loupe for the sole purpose of checking for half-tone printing dots; If there are no dots visible in the gradation areas of the artwork, chances are, it might be an original worth researching.

take care,
watercolor

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire

I feel your pain! I'm not sure I agree that nothing of value slips though the cracks at a Goodwill. I once found a piece of video equipment (new in box) at a Goodwill for $25. I sold it on eBay for around $500.

You never know...

sc

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

secondcup,

That would be the type of thing that would slip through the cracks at Goodwill because most of them are more tuned into antiques and collectibles and could easily miss a piece of expensive video equipment. Good for you, nothing more satisfying than a 2000% return on your investment

Jim

T

TreasureTales

Once I bought a Case pocket knife from a thrift shop for $2.00 and it is worth at least $20.00. I thought that was a slip-up on somebody's part.

About Ansel Adams prints: I know the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite used to use reprints of his photos on the covers of their menus. I used to have some of them from the late 1960's. They would have looked great framed, but they measured only about 8"L x 5"W. Would that be about the same size of the framed prints seen by buscadero?

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Doom on him >:( Karma will catch up. There are good things at thrift stores check the pottery/glass section i bought 6 siesta ware amber mugs for $2.00 sold for $12.00 green Hoosier glass vase 35 cents sold for $5.00 and so on. You won't make a million over night but that was a quick profit. i like the ones in small towns run by old ladies they can be real treasure chests.

Acevillav

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread