Taxco silver overlay shot gasses... Keep or scrap?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this set of four taxco silver overlay shot glasses this weekend at a storage unit having a sale. The price for all 4 was $3, so I thought why not. The weight without the glass is 1.4 oz. each weighing the same at .35 oz.

I don't know much about these other than what I can look up. Found similar pieces on eBay in much better shape, and the markings match up to unidentified silver makers in taxco. (CH). The markings on all read

TAXCO
Sterling
CH

3 of the 4 have the shot glass. My question is are they worth more than the $30 in scrap? Also, are they real? I'm not up on Mexico silver, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and HH!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and sell for over scrap value imo, list them as old taxco sterling silver communion set. 'not scrap' the wording of overlay you shouldn't use. that generally is a very thin layer of silver applied to the glass. yours are heavy solid sterling glass inserts or holders. It would be cool if you could find a color glass to replace the clear. mention "rare" ruby, cobalt blue or something out of the normal clear that they are. Clean them up. Weiman Silver Cream can be found in any Walmart.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been several that have sold at or near scrap on ebay. I'm on the fence with this one.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been several that have sold at or near scrap on ebay. I'm on the fence with this one.

Me too, I think I'll try a little of everyone's advice. I clean them up and see how they turn out. Maybe try and resell them for over scrap if they look nice enough. If they look good enough I might keep them :laughing7:

If nothing else, I can get rid of them for a decent profit! Thanks all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread