Makers name ? On blue drinking glasses ..

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 95

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wavy part of the glass are "chill marks" where the glass went into a mold much cooler than the molten glass. (These temperatures are relative and still very high). Your guess is probably correct and rules out many of the more expensive European countries. And probably rules out Japan. For daily use I'm sure they are great but for eBay value I would think it would be a tough sell. However its obviously a company making enough glass that they had their own cast iron molds made for them. So if someone knows the stamp I could be wrong. But probably South America or Asian.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very similar to a set I used to have.
It was purchased in the 1990s from a department store

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave 100's of those types of glasses in the dumpster every month. I can't hardly give em away at garage sales let alone sell them on eBay so I don't even take them for free anymore. There are drinking glasses that are well worth taking & selling on eBay but those you have are just not it as those are not worth the shipping cost. Even at second hand stores those are at best $1 each & more than likely only $0.50-$0.75 each.

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks gadget . You seem to know your stuff. Can you give me ideas/hints of things that are good for resale.. What should I look for? Thanks .. .. . .

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like the Libbey chivalry tumbler.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that about 20% of those tumblers do sell on eBay tho when something is at even a 35% or less sales rate on eBay I don't mess with it. The tumblers that you can find at garage sales that have value are those that are #1 signed, #2 those with old yet cool designs printed on them, #3 often glasses that have gold or silver fired on paint are ones to check out. The 2 I'm picturing are just a couple examples of ones or types I like to grab, 1 is signed Mercer & the other is signed George Briard. Those are guaranteed sellers on eBay for possibly as much as $20-$25 per glass with $10 each being rock bottom. Those are just 2 examples I have to show ya for drinking glasses as there are endless ones or types that have real value.
DSC03566.JPG

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
It seems that about 20% of those tumblers do sell on eBay tho when something is at even a 35% or less sales rate on eBay I don't mess with it. The tumblers that you can find at garage sales that have value are those that are #1 signed, #2 those with old yet cool designs printed on them, #3 often glasses that have gold or silver fired on paint are ones to check out. The 2 I'm picturing are just a couple examples of ones or types I like to grab, 1 is signed Mercer & the other is signed George Briard. Those are guaranteed sellers on eBay for possibly as much as $20-$25 per glass with $10 each being rock bottom. Those are just 2 examples I have to show ya for drinking glasses as there are endless ones or types that have real value.
View attachment 1022371

For some reason whenever I see Briard pieces I look them up on ebay and they are not worth very much. I know some are good but it seems I never find those.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason whenever I see Briard pieces I look them up on ebay and they are not worth very much. I know some are good but it seems I never find those.

I agree but with drinking glasses singles sell well as people have incomplete sets due to breakage, loss or ? & they want to complete those sets. Where as a complete set of the same glasses don't sell all that well or don't sell that well for a good price. Items that make up a larger set of anything, regardless of the maker, are good items to check out as someone is always missing a piece to a set of glasses, dishes, or whatever you can think of that has multiple pieces. Even game pieces & parts to some board games sell well where as the whole game doesn't sell well at all. I'm always hunting out parts & pieces to sets of anything, I have good success selling these items & rarely pay much for them. Lids to FireKing, Pyrex, Corning Ware, Vision Ware, Crock Pots & the like have always done well for me & I get them free all the time. The other day a guy gave me 3 lids to Vintage Club pans/skillets 2 golden yellow & 1 turquoise. I will sell them with no problem pretty fast.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to drinking glasses, Culver ltd. glasses are a good bet. I ran across a set of the Harlequin Mardi Gras glasses but they were in pretty rough shape. I still bought them because they are hard to find and even with condition issues they will sell. I also like some of the painted glasses. Different themed or commemorative type glasses. I have different sets of Star Wars Burger King glasses, Pepsi Looney Toons glasses, Nasa or Airline related glasses as well, just to name a few and give you an idea of what to look for when it comes to drinking glasses anyway.
Stems are a whole different animal. Today I found 7 Cambridge Rose Point 8 1/2" water goblets on the no.3121 stem pattern. A sweet find indeed. I didn't even bother to buy the 5 Waterford Lismore wine glasses for $5 each. I had too much other stuff already.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Yes culver ltd have been very good to me too. Generally you can get sets cheap at the end of sales cause nobody knows what they sell for.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always done good with "peacock" blue (a light blue) from several different makers like the Cambridge Georgian Moonlight Blue glasses to the Morgantown Seneca Driftwood Peacock blue glasses. Other colors do well & others don't but the light blue is desirable from my experience if they are vintage & of good quality without dishwasher haze.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions