Epic Private Estate Sale Jewelry Finds

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we've been extremely cash-poor for the last month and I've taken a second day job, working 60 hour weeks and therefore having literally no money or time to go looking. A scrap lot came from eBay this week and I decided to check CL for sales yesterday morning before leaving work since I had some cash.

There was an ad from the night before for an estate sale ~4 blocks from my apartment, sign up started at 7, happily the exact time I was driving by on my way home. I was first on the list, cool. Went home, ate, and headed back at 8:45. There were people already lining up, and a younger guy who I know buys jewelry offered me $5 to take him in with me (LOL no). I head in at 9 and find a table of stuff, all priced 5 for $2 for rings/earrings/etc and hangers of necklaces all $2 each. One of the first rings I pick up is 10k and I just start loading up on everything that looks promising; I only ended up putting back 4 or 5 items. Ended up with 1 sterling ring, 2 10k rings,1 14k ring, a 10k pendant & 2 14k charms, a massive sterling byzantine choker, 3 .925 chains, 4 .925 pendants and a pair of mystery Shriner sterling wings. Only had $27, that got me all the jewelry and a very much needed set of dishes.

Final PM tally:
7.7 grams 10k
8.6 grams 14k
103 grams .925

I scrapped 3.1 g of 14k, an empty ring setting and a tiny charm, but all of the other stuff is going on eBay. Need to replace two semiprecious stones from the large 10k ring before selling, but should get around $700 for everything after all is said and done.

ForumRunner_20140712_011513.png

ForumRunner_20140712_011542.png

ForumRunner_20140712_011619.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pics of the larger 10k ring (4.9g) and the 14k Psalm 23 charm (5.5g). All of the rings & pendants were 40¢ each.

ForumRunner_20140712_011935.png

ForumRunner_20140712_012000.png

ForumRunner_20140712_012029.png

ForumRunner_20140712_012056.png

ForumRunner_20140712_012124.png

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! It's always good when you can score some pm's for cheap. Good luck!

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing diggummup. I'll be researching stuff tonight and listing tomorrow, I'll pm you & let you know.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pics of the larger 10k ring (4.9g) and the 14k Psalm 23 charm (5.5g). All of the rings & pendants were 40¢ each.]

Those 14kt multi-color stone pieces can sure throw you in the beginning. I was at a flea market and looking through a box of bagged jewelry. The fellow said "Here's what's left. Don't mind the prices, this is at least the third time this box has been put out."
I found a heavy bracelet with multi colored stones. Since my wife collects the 50's Rhinestone jewelry, and this had many different colored stones, I took a second look with my pocket mag. glass. Inside the cast latch my L.E.D lighted mag. glass helped me see a heart pumping mark: 585...

He sold the bracelet for $3; I could hardly swallow!! :tongue3:

Glad you got your great finds, and at a time when you most needed a helping hand!! Don't forget to say "Thank You" and then ask to find more "this week". I'll bet you'll be back with more good news!
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that feeling bill, I wore it all day yesterday and couldn't get over how over-the-top/fake it looked. I'm getting the stones in all three rings tested tomorrow, the pave. 925 ring reminds me of Yurman pieces but I am having a really hard time reading the mark. Hoping for diamonds in that & sapphires for both 10k pieces but we'll see, I'm not great with stones.

Something funny re: that sale. At one point something slipped out of my hand onto the table but I couldn't figure out what it had been; when I got home I was bummed to realize it had been the cut-out Merc pendant. Like I said, there were other people there for jewelry when I got there, so I was sure it would be gone when I stopped back by a couple of hours later. Not only was it still there, but I found a sterling chain & pendant also. I am much less worried about my competition if they can't even spot a mercury dime in the wild, y'know?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
those wings are middle eastern air force pilots wings *

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
those pilot wings are Saudi Arabian military pilots wings *

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! As soon as I read that I realized I have Saudi & Iranian coins with similar configurations.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! I'm so happy for you. Glad you went and found some awesome stuff.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, it was so incredibly timely and we're extremely happy/grateful. I got all shaky on the (incredibly short) drive home and *ran* into my apartment to show the boyfriend. Then I found another 5 grams of 14k scrappy stuff for $7 at the flea market today, and a $10 mixed bag from the thrift store with a gorgeous 33g sterling cuff which I'm actually keeping for myself because I had such a good week. Tonight is my first night off from my "day" jobs in 6 days and I'm taking a much-needed rest, then it's back to making listings for all the new stock.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When I scrapped on Friday, the guy asked me if I do flea markets. I said no. He said a deal picked up a 2 ct diamond for five bucks two weeks ago! It blows my mind what is out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread