World record fish!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now what to do with it. And to figure out what kind it is I think somebody said it triggerfish though. But I paid $15 for it.

image-440211190.jpg

image-2631688111.jpg

I

image-1731367139.jpg

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice fish and yes, is a triggerfish. I would hang that sucker on my wall. I have caught a few of those and they're real fighters I tell ya!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fish and yes, is a triggerfish. I would hang that sucker on my wall. I have caught a few of those and they're real fighters I tell ya!
They are good eating too, caught a 5 pounder once. Nice tasty white meat. Tough to clean though from what I remember. BTW- The world record is now 13lb 9oz

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are good eating too, caught a 5 pounder once. Nice tasty white meat. Tough to clean though from what I remember. BTW- The world record is now 13lb 9oz

So this is an retired fish then. I wish it had a date on the back of it!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I filled my whole car today and I spent $80! I think I spent more money on diapers that I did anything else. And bought a laser disk I didn't even know what they were but it was $20 and came with 100 record size CDs, have not looked through those yet either. A vintage stereo. 35 sega genisis games. Two Sterling rings, a gold and pearl necklace. And two Harley-Davidson cookie jars. Some turbo printer thing. There was not many people out and all I guess it's too hot down here in Florida! Which kind of stinks because my wife wants to have a yard sale next weekend here at my house! And I have no interest because I don't want to set up anything outside it's hot!!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice buy and would hang it up in the Garage or find a local hunting and fish club and donate it to them since it was a record catch. Thanks for sharing...

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Now what to do with it. And to figure out what kind it is I think somebody said it triggerfish though. But I

I'd try selling it. Who knows just like some "hunters" will buy trophy deer mounts then say they bagged it, a fisherman may want it. Or a bar/bait place near where trigger fish are caught.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sold for $100 tonight with $18 shipping. Wanted a little more but I kind of need to space it is sitting in. There was no way I was allowed to hang it on my wall!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an interesting fact on how they get their name. That spike you see on their back is usually flat against the fishes back but to when it feels threatened, it will jam itself into a hole in the rocks and deploy the spike as a wedge, but only after the first spine is "triggered". Divers have to usually cut the spike off to get the fish free and they are just downright nasty little shits.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping it ought to be interesting but they are building a lot of houses by us so I think I can get a box big enough to fit it in for free.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also caught a trigger fish off the coast of NJ a couple of years ago! They are a tropical fish and sometimes traverse to areas where the water if warm.
The spike on the back you could pull like a trigger on a gun and it sounds like and feels like your firing a gun. (Click)
I suppose the fish was named after the invention of triggers on guns, I wonder what they called them beforehand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread