tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last evening I took my nightly stroll to the local thrift's for my meditation, observation & relaxation activity and in the brick-brac, nick-nac, God please give this dog a bone aisle, I spot this little bird. Oh thank you God! I say... I didn't even need to pull back the sticker to know I've just scored a small piece of "Lalique glass". Got home and found one like it sold for around $46.00 on the eBay recently. That's one for the dollar find. That makes maybe the 4th or 5th piece of Lalique I think I've found on the hunt for dirt cheap. The best Lalique I found, was a bowl for 8 bucks once with cactus on it and I sold that to a person in Italy for $1400. I remember It cost the guy over 80 bucks in freight as it was a heavy piece. This little guy isn't old, but still worth more then a dollar to a collector. It is signed under the sicker "Lalique France".

Attachments

• Lalique 1.jpg
    Lalique 1.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Lalique 2.jpg
    Lalique 2.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 136

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little find. I have a Lalique owl paperweight packed up somewhere. I think it was an owl, I forget. Too much stuff, too lazy to list it all. I love the hunt for it though.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
That is a great find! I encourage anyone who happens to run across a piece of Lalique glass to look at it--Really Look At It. It doesn't leave the factory unless it's deemed perfect by eyes better trained to find flaws than yours are. And every piece (used to be) hand etched with the cursive Lalique signature.
Now pop off the label and lets see that sig!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
If you take Lalique in your carry-on when going through the metal detectors at an airport, your bag will be searched. Can you guess why? (I know from personal experience!)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean Dig's. I cleaned some stuff in the garage and found a box with a gold bracelet & a vintage Seiko Bellmatic wristwatch I put out there 4 - 5 years ago??. I've been hashing over the idea of a booth at the local antique store. It's just a small wall maybe six feet wide for $75. a month plus 10% of all sold merchandise. Just can't get myself up to listing things lately either. I am getting to be a hoarder. I just can't say no to some deals, but still I consider it money in the bank.

I can only think maybe the lead content of the glass would trigger an APMD there O-S-B :dontknow:

Here's the etched Lalique mark for ya batcap.

Attachments

• lalique mark.jpg
    lalique mark.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 78

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take Lalique in your carry-on when going through the metal detectors at an airport, your bag will be searched. Can you guess why? (I know from personal experience!)

Lead crystal.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool! Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Lead crystal.

Yes, it shows up jet black on the x-ray machine (I think I miss-stated metal detector, but they're there together), due to the high lead content of the glass. The TSA agent showed me. It's an eye-opener.

I'm not sure all Lalique is marked. Sometimes a sticker on the bottom. My two Lalique cats don't appear to be marked, but they weigh a ton, and second, when you look at the bottom you are looking through clear glass.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. How do you identify Lalique glass, is it printed on the piece?
Most are marked Lalique France or just Lalique in the glass. To me its the unique look and design of Lalique, but a few glass makers do copy the style of Lalique, so be careful. There's a wealth of information on the web about Lalique glass, so if you think you found a piece check it out to other Lalique designs you'll find on-line to be sure.... The old pieces are worth fortunes. This little piece is genuine, but more of a newer novelty item, that I think Costco would even have for sale. I know they sell Waterford & Baccarat glass and maybe I saw Lalique also once at Costco?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it shows up jet black on the x-ray machine (I think I miss-stated metal detector, but they're there together), due to the high lead content of the glass. The TSA agent showed me. It's an eye-opener.

I'm not sure all Lalique is marked. Sometimes a sticker on the bottom. My two Lalique cats don't appear to be marked, but they weigh a ton, and second, when you look at the bottom you are looking through clear glass.
Interesting, Thanks!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like what you are talking about but it doesn't say lalique on or in it. It's heavy for its size and looks clear when viewing from the bottom. Has a small chip in the back. What do you think?...........am I rich? :)

Attachments

• lalique1.jpg
    lalique1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 66
  • lalique2.jpg
    lalique2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like what you are talking about but it doesn't say lalique on or in it. It's heavy for its size and looks clear when viewing from the bottom. Has a small chip in the back. What do you think?...........am I rich? :)
I'm not finding any of the Christ figure you have tied to any that are said to be Lalique. Is what you have worth a fortune?... I can't say, as I'm not finding any like it on line to compare. So, maybe it's worth a bundle or maybe not :dontknow: Hopefully someone here will know what you have. I will say, if I was to guess where your glass came from? I'd guess 'France', but could have even been made by an American glass company like Viking or Imperial also??.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know about it is that it isn't a modern piece. It's, at least, from the 40's or earlier. Just wish it didn't have that little chip in it. I had never heard of the stuff 'til I saw your post.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know about it is that it isn't a modern piece. It's, at least, from the 40's or earlier. Just wish it didn't have that little chip in it. I had never heard of the stuff 'til I saw your post.
Like so many on this forum of garage sales I've hunted for treasure in all these places they all find things at. I have the advantage of my job taking me out on the road, so I can stop and have a quick look around for any hidden undiscovered overlooked finds. I've learned to keep my mind open and expect to find the unexpected. No focus I use. I've just learned some on what is valuable and unique. I learn allot on this site on what others know also. Finding a .99 cent Lalique is unique, but it does come by more often then one thinks. I see it for what it should sell for quite frequently, but ever now and then it gets over looked. The bowl I sold for $1400. I spotter sitting in the middle of a round table at a antique mall. When I saw it at some distance away I said WoWzer! "That looks like it could be a Lalique". I picked it up and looked at the price and it said - unusual glass bowl $8.00...I then said 'could this be true' ?? and went looking for the prof of the mark. The base was very scratched up and I first saw the word 'France' and looked closely in hopes of seeing Lalique before the word France amongst all the light scratches. And sure enough it said Lalique. I remember it well as I had my daughter around 10 at the time and she was getting bored with dads treasure hunt and asking when we can leave. I just said to her at that point, we'er done now and we can now go home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread