cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up until 3 weeks ago I used a flip phone. It was a phone, it did it's job, it made calls. I was happy. Well it fineally died. I even had two exact backups, so I always had fully charged batteries. one by one they all stopped charging, so I bit the bullet and pulled my sim card out of the flip phone and put it one of the phones from my recycle company.

Many of you all know I recycle cell phones (got another 430 this weekend) Well I put that SIM in a smart phone and the next day I got an email from AT&T saying "thanks for upgrading to a smart phone we have added a $30 charge to your account for up to 3 GB data" WHAT??????????? I only used the phone to make calls. I couldn't even get on the internet.

I only chose the phone to use because it took the larger sim card size. It was a Blackberry look-alike. Those buttons are so small. So I went thru my stash of phones and found an iPhone 4 with a broken screen, charged it up and it worked great. I traded some sim cards to a phone repair shop and got a new screen.

I then went to a locally owned AT&T store and asked about my plan and to make a long story short he deleted that $30 charge that I got and said my old plan was obsolete and my new plan would be $5 less per month. No brainer, I said go for it. He pulled out a smaller sim and programmed it for my new (to me) i4 phone.

Smart phones seem OK, not thrilled with them yet. What would thrill me would be a program that would help me at yard sales. Is there a program that I can put on my phone where I can take a photo of something, it would be recognized and then go to ebay to see if they sell?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cyberdan!! Agree with you 100%!! Still using my old Razor Flip Phone!! Convenient, small, doesn't break every time you drop it and fits anywhere-although it doesn't give you the exponential outcome of a math problem, but easy to one hand!! Probably on the last leg with it!! Really going to miss it when it Croakes!! It's heck when your phone is smarter than the owner!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart phones seem OK, not thrilled with them yet. What would thrill me would be a program that would help me at yard sales. Is there a program that I can put on my phone where I can take a photo of something, it would be recognized and then go to ebay to see if they sell?
Just because you flip phones, didn't mean you had to use a flip phone! :laughing7: The irony of it all, lol!

As for the program you mention, I don't know what you mean. Are you talking about some type of recognition software to identify an unknown object in a photo that you have taken? If so, I wish there was. All you have to do is search ebay completed listings to see what something sells for. Download the ebay app., it's free. I use it sometimes at thrift stores and flea markets when I'm unsure of values.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with your purchase of one of the finest surveillance systems known to exist:laughing7:

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
The mobile eBay app has made me many dollars over the last year or so!

Exactly. As a new seller (6 months or so) I was able to use the eBay app to search for current values in the recently sold items. It is a great way to know what someone is willing to pay on the bay!!!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use a 10 year old Samsung "dumb" phone (as my kids call it). It works. Dials my phone numbers. Don't need/want anything else. BTW, my dumb phone (Verizon) costs me around $35/month (no contract) for unlimited calls. Can't beat that.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Let me play devil's advocate here, and I'd like your thoughts. Where I live, on a good Saturday, I'll have 20-30 garage sales to hit. Two problems - it is so hot here in the summer that most are over at 11 or noon. Also, the competition is so fierce that almost anything good that is set out is gone by 9 am. In my mind, the day is about over at 10:30 am. So, I don't look anything up. To me, it takes too much time, and the prices, even on sold listings, are deceptive. Even when I get back to my office and research ebay, you'll see an item sell for $200.00, and the identical item, and I mean identical, sell for $10.00. I don't think anyone can get a good handle on price in the time you are looking at it on ebay at a yard sale. Its the same reason we curse the garage sellers that base their sticker price on ebay. They think everything they have will go for the highest sold price. I have so little time to hit the prime sale times and to find the good stuff that I buy stuff and deal with its value later. Especially if it is in the $1.00 to $20.00 range. And, just as an example (I see it all the time) one guy spending 20 minutes trying to research one piece of clear glass while I've grabbed six great pieces laying around. I guess I'm just basically a hit and run guy.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Dan be careful if you take pictures with your iPhone and post them on the internet,people can track the location where the picture was taken,not much to worry on garage sales but if you got a good detecting spot they could track and loot the site. There is a setting to prevent this. Good luck!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Dan be careful if you take pictures with your iPhone and post them on the internet,people can track the location where the picture was taken,not much to worry on garage sales but if you got a good detecting spot they could track and loot the site. There is a setting to prevent this. Good luck!
Yeah, turn off the gps for starters, lol. snopes.com: Smartphone Pictures Pose Privacy Risks

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use a 10 year old Samsung "dumb" phone (as my kids call it). It works. Dials my phone numbers. Don't need/want anything else. BTW, my dumb phone (Verizon) costs me around $35/month (no contract) for unlimited calls. Can't beat that.

I get unlimited calls, text, and data for $35 a month from Boost. I don't use mine at yard sales, but I will check prices on stuff I find at thrift stores before leaving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread