cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not have a "pick up" line. It is the clothes I wear. Or more exactly the outer shirt I wear. I was in the Navy and then went into the CB reserves. I was issued a green long sleeve shirt with the CB, USNavy, and my name patch sewn on. This was early 1970's Vietnam era jungle uniform top. (and it almost fits)

The main reason I wear it is I like it, it is warm and I am proud to be a Vietnam vet. Secondly I get comments like "my dad was a CB" "Thanks for serving" or "did you get that at a yard sale?" It opens a line of conversation which helps get a better price or sometimes what they said "no I don't have" turns into "just a minute let me look in the house"

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going to ask if you were a redhead with freckles? That would never work.

I was at a yardsale last year and this lady could barely talk to me in English so our conversation went this way:
me: Quanto anos in Ustado Unitos?
her: veinticinco
me: veinticinco y no Inglés?
her: nothing just an embaressed shrug.
You don't expect her to learn English after 25 years do you? lol It's the same in many parts of Miami onlY the opposite scenario sort of. They expect you to speak Spanish and question you as to why you don't.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isnt a discussion, I make a offer, they can take it or pack back up for next week. I am so tired of folks asking 90% of retail for used junk they dont want. I also do not sell anymore as it is cheaper and easier to throw it away. I make sure it cant be used before I put it in the trash. I have a saying, "We get to buy new".

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isnt a discussion, I make a offer, they can take it or pack back up for next week. I am so tired of folks asking 90% of retail for used junk they dont want. I also do not sell anymore as it is cheaper and easier to throw it away. I make sure it cant be used before I put it in the trash. I have a saying, "We get to buy new".
I never make offers. If the price is too high just walk away or counter offer. If you throw out a price first it may be a whole lot more than they were wanting. I don't believe in shooting myself in the foot. Also, if you don't sell anymore then why are you buying used stuff at garage sales especially if you have a saying that "We get to buy new"? Your post is kind of confusing. I'm guessing you mean you don't have your own garage sales anymore but you still sell stuff online?

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't expect her to learn English after 25 years do you? lol It's the same in many parts of Miami onlY the opposite scenario sort of. They expect you to speak Spanish and question you as to why you don't.
Same here except it is pretty much the whole state!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cyber dan -- sadly I have heard there is a market "underware and bra's " --some folks like them "unwashed" the body funk still on them --all kinds of freaks out there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyber dan -- sadly I have heard there is a market "underware and bra's " --some folks like them "unwashed" the body funk still on them --all kinds of freaks out there.
Yeah and don't forget the dirty socks market! Freaks ain't the word, bunch of perverted sicko's is more like it, lol.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one that has never failed. How much do you want for all of it? Mostly on jewelry but can apply to anything.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When I pull out my loop, I am usually asked, Oh, are you a jeweler? No, I just can't see the jewelry; my bifocals aren't strong enough. (Was true until I filled my prescription a month or so ago. But I still can't see the tiny writing. I can't tell you how much I bought that is gold filled cuz I saw 14K and didn't see the GF.)

I get, Do you own a shop? Nope. (I don't.)
What do you do with all that jewelry? (Remember, I buy tons of jars.) Oh, I take it apart and use it to remake stuff. (I do. I fix the good stuff that is broken and sell it via the consignment stores.)

I shmooze a lot with the sales help. They recognize me and then they will bring out stuff to show me before they put it out. (That was how I got my platinum ring.)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going to ask if you were a redhead with freckles? That would never work.

I spent one year of high school in Antelope Valley. One of my best friends was a freckled redhead named Miguel. I was kind of surprised the first time I heard him speak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions