tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This beat-up paperweight is an oldie I think?. I stopped for a quick look-see at a Unique TS on the way to pick up some carbide rock drill bits to run up to a tunnel job going on here in Colorado. The paperweight is in sad shape, but I did in the past find one that I sent back east to have the surface ground and polished as it was an old Baccarat, called a triple trefoil millefiorie and the guy gave it an apprised price of a 'Grand' on that one once finished. I got it for $15. and paid a $100. + freight, for the re-grind and polish and put it on eBay, but only got something like $380. for it.(some difference I'd say)...I put around $125. in to it. This one may not be worth the expense and I need some collectors to give me their opinions on what for sure it is? plus my best options for it. Sell as-is or spend the money and get it looking pretty or find out it's really nothing. :dontknow: I'll most likely stash it away and foget-a bout-it.

Attachments

• paperweight 1.jpg
    paperweight 1.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 121
  • paperweight 2.jpg
    paperweight 2.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 110

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a possible New England Glass Company piece. It's unsigned I guess, you have removed the sticker and checked? There isn't a date cane is there? I think a rock tumbler would come in handy for this one. Very similar to this one in much the same condition, check the construction of yours and compare to this one- Antique Negc New England Glass Co Millefiori w Basket Art Glass Paperweight | eBay

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a possible New England Glass Company piece. It's unsigned I guess, you have removed the sticker and checked? There isn't a date cane is there? I think a rock tumbler would come in handy for this one. Very similar to this one in much the same condition, check the construction of yours and compare to this one- Antique Negc New England Glass Co Millefiori w Basket Art Glass Paperweight | eBay
I think your on the right track Digg's. Looking at other New England Glass weights I find they do have more then just a few similarities with this one. I'm thinking your correct on the I.D. of this paperweight. I'm not seeing any makers mark on it, though and I do think this could be as old as the mid 19th century. What say you ??

Funny I'll bet any other folks who saw this on the shelf said why would any one ever give 6 bucks for that paperweight, (It's Trashed). To me those are the signs of age when it comes to old glass and the signs I see on this one give me the indication of it being very old.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• paperweight 3.jpg
    paperweight 3.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a good one to me and I think it could be an oldie but a goodie. They very rarely marked their weights. I just mentioned that in case there was something hidden under the label. You were the right person to come along and notice that old beat up looking thing. Nobody else deserved it, lol.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pattern in the bottom is called reticello. Basically the canes of glass cross over each other. This process requires multiple steps and is usually more of a labor of love or reserved for the glass master of the shop. Its pretty rare in a paperweight. Although the term is frequently thrown around incorrectly yours is a true reticello. That should help you narrow it down completely. But after seeing the one Diggum posted I would end my search. I don't think anyone is going to come up with a closer match.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this sound so good. This weight is a bit bigger then the one Digg's linked up with the sold NEGC seen on ebay. Mine is 2-3/4" dia. x 2" high. I believe now this could maybe do a bit north of a hundred bucks on a good day in as-is condition. Thanks for the additional info D.Diver. I'll keep the reference you gave. You got it Kevo, this forum is the place to go when accurate info is needed and the guess work won't due. Thanks! T-netters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread