More Estate sale finds from Sunday. Any Bootjack knowledge?

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More finds from a local estate sale, the bootjack I bought for 25 c just because of the ns meyer. I have found no information on it, I was wondering if it was army issued. rockwood miter box pd 1.00, stamps and air race envelopes were inside a 1935 stamp album pd .20c, new orleans 1984 lionstone whiskey decantor and jim beam decantor 2.00 each and the sliding scales 1.00 each.

The bootjack and the 1984 lionstone decantor I have not been able to find much on either. I listed the lionstone decantor at 24.99 with nothing so far, a little disappointed by that. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 84
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 78
  • 6b.jpg
    6b.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 6c.jpg
    6c.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 6d.jpg
    6d.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 6f.jpg
    6f.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 6e.jpg
    6e.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 6g.jpg
    6g.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 6l.jpg
    6l.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 69

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
sliding scales 1.00 each.

Those aren't scales, they are slide rules. Before the days of electronic calculators, these are what engineers (and the like) used to perform complex calculations. Some vintage slide rules are quite valuable. The one at the top of the photo appears to have a high quality leather case. If that one was made by Keuffel & Esser, you might have a big winner. I see the middle one is made by Pickett which is also a pretty good brand. I would have snatched these up for a buck each too. Nice pick!

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey LaDigger!! Your boot jack appears to be relatively new and I have one from the '60s, used for western boots in my case!! The slide rulers obviously are from La. Tech, and would require a retired engineer to use!! He He!! The decanter would be valuable if it were still full!! I had a good friend from Spearsville when I was at Tech!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those aren't scales, they are slide rules. Before the days of electronic calculators, these are what engineers (and the like) used to perform complex calculations. Some vintage slide rules are quite valuable. The one at the top of the photo appears to have a high quality leather case. If that one was made by Keuffel & Esser, you might have a big winner. I see the middle one is made by Pickett which is also a pretty good brand. I would have snatched these up for a buck each too. Nice pick!

Yes good catch I meant to say rulers! Yes the other two are made by K&E both copyright 1947, dont think they are rare models but should do okay. The pickett is a 1962 model.

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey LaDigger!! Your boot jack appears to be relatively new and I have one from the '60s, used for western boots in my case!! The slide rulers obviously are from La. Tech, and would require a retired engineer to use!! He He!! The decanter would be valuable if it were still full!! I had a good friend from Spearsville when I was at Tech!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Yes I don't think the bootjack is that old, the N.S.Meyer army navy mark is what sparked my interest. Go Tech. I bleed blue also!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Digger!! You did well and it will be interesting to see what your stamps might fetch!! GO DAWGS!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That boot jack is strange with an N.S. Meyer mark on it. I'm used to seeing that on military medals and insignia. It's hard to date it because it's on wood, but it looks like WW2 era to me. I've never seen another one like it. I wonder if there is a way to find out if there were any boot jacks supplied to the WW2 military and if so by whom? I like the postal covers too.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Oh my calculas and Trig in the 60's. I hated those things

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That boot jack is strange with an N.S. Meyer mark on it. I'm used to seeing that on military medals and insignia. It's hard to date it because it's on wood, but it looks like WW2 era to me. I've never seen another one like it. I wonder if there is a way to find out if there were any boot jacks supplied to the WW2 military and if so by whom? I like the postal covers too.

I have dealt with several military medals and was familiar with the N.S.Meyer logo and thats what made me buy it. I have tried to research and have came up empty so far. The logo says army navy equipments, I can't find another N.S.Meyer logo with that on it either. I know this site has a lot of knowledgeable people so I was hoping to get a confirmation of the ww2 issue. I will wait to list it hoping somebody here can help identify it.

I listed the two air races envelopes for 9.99 and got a bid right off so they will sale.
Thanks for your input!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dealt with several military medals and was familiar with the N.S.Meyer logo and thats what made me buy it. I have tried to research and have came up empty so far. The logo says army navy equipments, I can't find another N.S.Meyer logo with that on it either. I know this site has a lot of knowledgeable people so I was hoping to get a confirmation of the ww2 issue. I will wait to list it hoping somebody here can help identify it.

I listed the two air races envelopes for 9.99 and got a bid right off so they will sale.
Thanks for your input!
That logo dates to at least 1920. Click on the blue "N.S.Meyer" in the 3rd paragraph. - 14 to 42 - 20th Street. So I would think WW1 era versus WW2. They used the term "Armed Forces Equipment" in certain logos during and after WW2. Though I don't know when they started using Inc. in their name. I'll find out.
meyer-1920.jpg

Last edited:

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
The air race envelopes should go for a bit of money, there are a few people on eBay that are interested in this sub-set of stamp/cover collecting. The two stamp pages you have shown don't have anything really valuable in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread