Thrift Store Find Eames Era/Mid Century Floor lamp

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC09117.JPG DSC09118.JPG Hi gang. Purchased this at a thrift store the other day. Amazing Eames era/mid century floor lamp. I am trying to figure out its age. The style screams Eames/mid century. The bottom is weighted with cast iron. The shade is a fiber glass and string? Beautiful piece. So am hoping someone can shed some light (no pun intended) on this piece. Any thoughts. DSC09115.JPG

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is American, 50's/very early 60's. The globe may actually be lucite and not fiberglass, it was a common "spaghetti" style shade during the period. The tripod base is pretty interesting.

It's kind of a cross between modern and colonial styles, most likely a low/middle end of the market producer.

::you can disregard this, pet peeve alert::

I deal specifically with mid century modern pieces. There is no "Eames era" and it's been something sellers have invented recently and doesn't serve much of a purpose besides connect the "Eames" name with the piece to draw more hits, similar to tagging "Mad Men" with an item that would never be caught dead on the set. Ray and Charles Eames would not have produced a piece like this.

Done.

I'm not sure of your market. On the coasts you might see 100-250 depending on the retail environment. In the flyovers you might see 80-120. Let me know how you're selling it and I can maybe offer some tips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I noticed on the bottom of the base there is some writing. Going to check it out in the morning. Will post in the morning. I appreciate the help.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool! Some would say it's "atomic era or age" most likely an invented term also. I'd say it's hip!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I noticed on the bottom of the base there is some writing. Going to check it out in the morning. Will post in the morning. I appreciate the help.

No problem, interested in what the writing has to say!

OP
OP
C

chadkeath

Jan 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the writing turned out to be a number and something else I cannot make it. The number is X187-102

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions