Free ipad!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cover , a small crack, camera on it as well! What more can you ask for! It was even free . But it was free because someone left it on top of their car and drove away! It was laying in the middle of the road. And it has a lock on it so that will make it harder to find out who the owner is but I posted on craigslist and hopefully somebody will call. It has been getting text messages but any messages it gets I'm not able to find anyone on Facebook with the same name so that limits the search as well! FYI top of your car is not a good spot to store it when you're driving down the road!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I unfortunately did that with my phone a few years back, I heard it hit the back of the car as it slid off, then seen it get run over in my rear view mirror as I pulled over! Hard lesson learned that is for sure!

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Apple. Everyone of those things has to connect to iTunes and every one has a unique id. They should know who the owner is or at least their iTunes account info. Also, since it's wirless data enabled the phone company could help too.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Apple. Everyone of those things has to connect to iTunes and every one has a unique id. They should know who the owner is or at least their iTunes account info. Also, since it's wirless data enabled the phone company could help too.

Text messages do not necessarily mean that it has cellular. It could very well be connecting to an open wireless router and be getting messages through a third-party app. You could always try to brute force the passcode. Assuming you haven't swiped and tried and man-handled it too much, you can actually tilt the iPad in the light to see where the oily fingerprints are and might get (4) or (5) possible numbers to try permutations on. Additionally, you could try some of the most common passcodes: How Thieves Unlock Passcodes on Stolen iPhones (And How to Protect Yourself Against It) « iOS

If all else fails, go back to where the iPad slid off, put up a sign that says "Lose something off your car?" with your email address. After a week or 2, give up, restore the iPad to factory and use it:

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well whoever had it reset it back to its factory settings. I opened it up and it just had the apple symbol I touched it and said what your preference language. So I guess I'm waiting for somebody to put an ad on craigslist to see if they lost it of course I have one up there saying that I found it.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife did it with her purse. She got about 3 miles down the road before she realized it. Luckily it was still there!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove off from a sale last year with my phone on the roof. It survived but the case didn't. It flew off the roof several blocks away (according to where it was found) and the lady who found it called my mother who lives in a different state. Mom called the misses to tell her someone had my phone. Funny thing is, I didn't even realize it was missing until she called. A month or so later I forgot it was in my back pocket when I was detecting in the water at the beach, needless to say...

I don't have that phone anymore.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my favorite coffee cup - I put on my truck roof - my truck has a cap - I saw it smash as I pulled out of our driveway .

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was getting messages it must be cellular data enabled. (3G) it can most likely not be put back on the network again (reported lost) but can only be used on wifi. It's too bad they wiped it, knowing the code would be a good way to find the owner, but it should have some numbers on the back. If nobody claims it it'll be an easy flip.

It's too bad we can't leave everything unlocked and trust that honest tnet'ers will find it!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice cover , a small crack, camera on it as well! What more can you ask for! It was even free . But it was free because someone left it on top of their car and drove away! It was laying in the middle of the road. And it has a lock on it so that will make it harder to find out who the owner is but I posted on craigslist and hopefully somebody will call. It has been getting text messages but any messages it gets I'm not able to find anyone on Facebook with the same name so that limits the search as well! FYI top of your car is not a good spot to store it when you're driving down the road!
Well i guess it will be yours congrat's…..I use nothing but Apple products and you would never find me on Facebook … It is not my type of thing...

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well whoever had it reset it back to its factory settings. I opened it up and it just had the apple symbol I touched it and said what your preference language. So I guess I'm waiting for somebody to put an ad on craigslist to see if they lost it of course I have one up there saying that I found it.

Could have been stolen and dumped too.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had four calls once I listed this on craigslist of somebody saying they lost it. But as soon as I asked for the password they hang up! So I will wait for him to post something on craigslist because I'm not dealing with everybody else! And after a week it will be for sale I may even see how much it is to get the screen replaced because broken they sell for about 150. Not broken they sell close to 300!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh, I almost lost my phone today doing almost the same thing. I was putting groceries into my van, and I needed to rearrange some things. I go into the car and look for my phone to call someone. (Yeah, I know ... don't talk and drive; normally I don't.) I can't find my phone. I figure I left it at the cash register (and no, I took the password off it). I go to the back, and there it is, on my bumper. Woah! If I hadn't wanted to make that phone call, I would have driven away and been phoneless.

I commend you for trying to find the owner. Good luck with it.

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had four calls once I listed this on craigslist of somebody saying they lost it. But as soon as I asked for the password they hang up! So I will wait for him to post something on craigslist because I'm not dealing with everybody else! And after a week it will be for sale I may even see how much it is to get the screen replaced because broken they sell for about 150. Not broken they sell close to 300!

Funny you mention replacing the screen. I just powered mine up with new screen and saw this post. LOL. $18 bucks on eBay and was a piece of cake to replace.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
My wife is a painter & was working at a house in the country that had 2 miles of bumpy dirt road before you hit pavement. She took off her diamond engagement ring & wedding band when she was cleaning up & put them on the back bumper. She only remembered they were there after she had been on pavement a few miles. The wedding band was gone but somehow the diamond engagement ring was still on the bumper.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only you knew someone with a metal detector?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an I phone 4 s deep in the sand in a fla beach with an otter box on it. That was the best part of it. The battery had busted out the back of it. Front and back were busted. Looked like it had been in the ocean awhile.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you contact the police dept? Maybe it was reported stolen. My family has been on both sides of this situation. I found a phone at the stop sign by my house and called #'s on it, found the owner and they came to pick it up. Never even said "Thank you" but it was the right thing to do. My son had his ipod stolen from the school. Never got it back with ads on Craigslist and we are a fairly small community. You know the person that lost that ipad is probably pretty bummed. :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's reported as stolen the GPS feature should have had the fuzz knocking on your door by now-

An Apple store might be able to help you out.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's reported as stolen the GPS feature should have had the fuzz knocking on your door by now- An Apple store might be able to help you out.

Turns out I can't sell it. It's still locked. Also I have it on cl still and no hits. Tried apple and it's not registered. Going to maybe to take it to a AT&T store but I never remember to take it with me when I go out the door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread