We had (temporarily) stopped buying until...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
... I recognized the address of a yard sale as a place where I had done very well in the past. I wasn't disappointed this time either. We spent a total of $37 on:

DSC04625.JPG
A small group of military patches. Two of the patches (Berlin and Hell on Wheels) should bring around $10 each. Not sure about the others.

DSC04605.JPG
An acrylic lamp base with imbedded toy race cars. I was hoping they were vintage Hot Wheels but no such luck. Still a cute lamp for, perhaps, a boy's room. Hard to guess what it might be worth. Maybe $20 - $30.

DSC04608.JPG
A Grumbacher artist's kit. Might bring $30 - $50.

DSC04612.JPG
A bunch of NOS projector bulbs and flash bulbs. I'm a little disappointed in the value of these.

DSC04613.JPG DSC04614.JPG DSC04615.JPG
A Polaroid camera and accessories. The camera alone might bring around $50. The close-up attachment perhaps a little less than that.

DSC04616.JPG
A Lion King swim set. Couldn't find anything like it on eBay. I did find a Facebook page for a Lion King collector in The Netherlands who has hundreds and hundreds of photos of her collection. I couldn't find this item in her stuff either. Not sure how collectible and valuable rare Lion King stuff is but I'm going to guess maybe $30.

DSC04622.JPG
Bolo tie with sterling clasp. Value???

DSC04621.JPG
An old set of ice skates. A bit disappointed in these as well. I'm not sure they have much value.

And then there is this.... Two photo albums of World War I printed in Germany almost 100 years ago. Each album is about 400 pages so there are 1000s of pictures of war related things from all over Europe including, surprisingly, pictures of events related to the 1917 Russian Revolution in St. Petersburg. They are still in the original boxes with dust covers. One, unfortunately, has some water damage on the last few pages. These are very interesting and have some value (although, perhaps, not as much as I had hoped) except... this is a 3 volume set and I only have two of the volumes. The hell of it is, the seller had all three volumes. The third volume was sitting out on a table. When I first got there, I glanced at it but didn't immediately recognize it as a book. I thought I would come back to it and look at it more carefully after doing a quick look around in the rest of the garage. While I was doing that, some other guy picked it up and bought it. I didn't care much until I found these two volumes buried under some other stuff. I'm hoping that guy puts it out on eBay and I can pick it up cheap to keep the set together. As a complete set, it might bring $100 or more.
DSC04617.JPG DSC04618.JPG DSC04619.JPG DSC04620.JPG

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the weight of the sterling part? I mean for the Bolo. I have scrapped ties and sold the sterling tips and clasp seperately. The tips alone can sell for $15 for the pair.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds for the money. The bolo looks like a classic Zuni style piece. The books are my favorite, I hope you can get the third one to make it complete. I just sold five 1 dozen NOS packs of Sylvania Blue dot flash bulbs myself. Sold for $36.45 shipping included. I did not go to a single sale this weekend. First time, long time. I had other plans but to be honest, I did not see a single sale that sounded like it was worth going to, except for ones that were too far to drive to.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, great scores!
So, it's called a bolo tie? I have three of them and I had no idea what to do with them. Mine are not sterling though.

Looks like you did well today.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, great scores!
So, it's called a bolo tie? I have three of them and I had no idea what to do with them.

Yup, that's what they are called. Very popular in the southwest region (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona). Lots of men wear these instead of traditional neckties - even as dress wear. Here is some more info on bolo ties:

The Bolo Tie's History and Use

@dumpsterdiver - Wow! Thanks for finding that. I am almost certain mine is the exact same lamp. The only difference I see is the sequence of the cars. And the base on that guy's lamp is cracked. Mine is not. This may turn out to be my big winner!

@paladin - The leather cord does not come off easily so I weighed the entire piece. It weighs 35 grams. I'm guessing the silver part is maybe half the total weight.

Last edited:

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those vintage ice hockey skates should do well for the hockey fan or sports bar. They will look great hanging from a hook or old hockey stick. Start out high with them.

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
Tallone, did you see Craigslist yesterday? There was an ad asking the person who bought the german books to contact the seller. Perhaps they have more?

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Those vintage ice hockey skates should do well for the hockey fan or sports bar. They will look great hanging from a hook or old hockey stick. Start out high with them.

I searched eBay for "vintage ice skates" but I didn't see anything like them. I then searched "vintage hockey skates" and found quite a few very similar to these. A few pairs sold for around $50 but there were a many offered for $30 and less and in better condition than mine, that didn't sell. I guess maybe I will list them at $50 and hope I get lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread