diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't go to any sales this weekend so I figured i'd share a couple of last weeks finds. I bought these 6 vintage concert t-shirts.. These are all from 1979 and 1980, as I know they make new shirts that look like old style ones. The two Kansas shirts are identical. The Journey one is the only one not double sided but the last one sold for $49.99 inn the medium size like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ori...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1e45cc04.The Aerosmith is probably the cream of this crop. Here's the pics-

Fronts of each-

DSC08389.jpg

Backs-

DSC08392.jpg

Aerosmith close ups-

DSC08394.jpg DSC08393.jpg

Then I went to the thrift store during the week and I found this unique shirt. It doesn't look like much from the front, when I flipped it around I saw the John Barleycorn Must Die logo and thought to myself, "well that looks different, doesn't it?"-

DSC08395.jpg DSC08397.jpg

Then you look at the label, this helps date it to the early 70's which was when the band "Traffic" released this song. No idea on the value.

DSC08396.jpg DSC08398.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago I was in a salvage yard looking for some parts and came across an AC/DC Jail Break Teeshirt. I believe that song came out in 74 and this had to be around 88.it was stuffed in the cars trunk,still in perfect condition.Needless to say i scooped it up.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Traffic . . . they still make my hair stand up, ( or, they put the "ear" in eerie).

Could that be a roadie work shirt? The label says "FOR LEASE NEVER SOLD".
(sigh) I wish I could wear a medium shirt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I was in a salvage yard looking for some parts and came across an AC/DC Jail Break Teeshirt. I believe that song came out in 74 and this had to be around 88.it was stuffed in the cars trunk,still in perfect condition.Needless to say i scooped it up.
Nice. I liked AC/DC better when Bon Scott was the singer.

Could that be a roadie work shirt? The label says "FOR LEASE NEVER SOLD".
(sigh) I wish I could wear a medium shirt.
I was wondering about that myself because it is a uniform rental type shirt. I don't know, I doubt I ever will. I stopped wearing a mens medium in the 4th grade I think, lol.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that Aerosmith shirt.

There is a local antique clothing store that had some late '80's - early '90's Aerosmith shirts ('Permanent Vacation' to about 'Pump' or 'Get a Grip' album era, like 1987-1993) that had tons of holes in them for $30 a pop; one of the shirts looked like it was a car mechanic's rag.

You should do good on that one!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET! My heart probably would have sped up a bit had I saw those for a buck each.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice scores on the old rock T's.

One question, how can you tell the originals from the newer made repro's.

I have a couple of the repro's myself.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

One way is to just check the tags.Now a day most of the repros are made in china garbage.most likely the ones you can buy at todays concerts are also made in china garbage.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way is to just check the tags.Now a day most of the repros are made in china garbage.most likely the ones you can buy at todays concerts are also made in china garbage.

Tags are usually the easiest way, but when they're missing the shape and heft of the shirt can go a long way. Vintage tees are much boxier, heavier, and more coarse than today's. They have a much more obvious "T" shape when laid flat. The repros are usually done on Japanese, Chinese, or American Apparel "fashion" tees that are very light, soft, and tapered. The colors and prints will be simplistic and really pop, with a handmade quality to them. Also, there will generally be a copyright date somewhere on the image. Copyright dates contemporary to the album release are a good sign (but not always a sure thing), a later copyright is a sure sign of a repro.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool old Tee's .

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I was something of a Traffic fan back in the day. I always particularly liked the song, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. Great shirts, dig.

Funny, I was talking to a chick in a high end bar/restaurant last week and that song was being played in the background. She was impressed that I knew the song and title.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Interesting thread.

I was thrilled to find a Pink Floyd shirt a few months ago, until my wife pointed out the modern copyright on the design.

I have found a large number of vintage clothing items recently. While I keep buying the stuff, I seem to have a hard time getting it sold. I couldn't find it anywhere when vintage clothes were the rage, and now, it seems, that I find it by the wheelbarrow full, and can't give it away.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Barleycorn Must Die song sucks, but shirt is a nice score :thumbsup:
cool on the Aerosmith T's also.
I wish I hadn't worn out all my Concert T's from the 70's & 80's

I was a Medium back then :laughing7: I'm an XL now :unhappysmiley:

last medium T I tried to wear, I had to rip off me after.
Looked like it was painted on, (Not a pretty Sight)
& I think it shrank while I was wearing it too :tongue3:
(sorry for the mental image if your afflicted with them)

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice scores on the old rock T's.

I have a couple of the repro's myself.
As a couple others have stated , tage are the best way to id the vintage shirts. Condition is another. Usually they won't be found in prime condition, that's why many times there won't be a tag. Mine all have tags (be it very worn and barely redable) except the Journey shirt. It has a 1980 date on the print itself though. Here is some info on old tee shirts- Vintage T-Shirt The Brand and Tag Guide and more on specific labels- Brands | Defunkd Vintage T-Shirts

John Barleycorn Must Die song sucks, but shirt is a nice score :thumbsup:
cool on the Aerosmith T's also.
I wish I hadn't worn out all my Concert T's from the 70's & 80's

I was a Medium back then :laughing7: I'm an XL now :unhappysmiley:

last medium T I tried to wear, I had to rip off me after.
Looked like it was painted on, (Not a pretty Sight)
& I think it shrank while I was wearing it too :tongue3:
(sorry for the mental image if your afflicted with them)
Lol, I understand completely. There is nothing worse than a too tight t shirt on someone who doesn't have the hardbody to go with it. You will never see me wearing tight t's! When i'm at my optimum weight, I can wear a 2xl, right now I'm in a 3xl. And I agree, the song does suck but the shirt is cool. I knew it was a song but I wasn't quite sure who sang it when I found the shirt. That's why I pulled out my cellphone to check. I'd prefer my old Sabbath shirt myself.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite Sabbath shirt wasn't actually from their heyday

was their Heaven & Hell Concert

on the back it said

the World is full of kings and Queens
who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
It's Heaven and Hell

shirt disappeard on me :(

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite Sabbath shirt wasn't actually from their heyday

was their Heaven & Hell Concert

on the back it said

the World is full of kings and Queens
who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
It's Heaven and Hell

shirt disappeard on me :(
Sabbath years with Dio were good, more so than other bands that have had singer changes. I still liked it better when Ozzy was with Sabbath and Dio was with Rainbow though. Hard to imagine he'd be in his 70's now if still alive. Man, we must be getting old too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread