Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue about the ornament, sorry.
Must be the Florida heat/humidity, CHEECH. :laughing7: Maybe a Mod can correct the title for you. Just pm them.
GL & HH!

Last edited:

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hood ornaments were an aftermarket part so what it came from could be anything, There were a few cars that came with them but nothing like yours. May even be from something other then an automobile, I had a smoking tray on a stand with a Douglas DC3 affixed to the top, was about the same size as yours.
Excellent find no matter what.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have been atop a globe. Quite a few similar on google images. Just a guess. Nice find!

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember back in the 60's & 70's JC Witney catalogue sold hood ornaments similar to yours . Nice find !

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not the Spirit of St Louis.
It looks a bit long, and Lindbergh's plane only had one small window on each side, not three
(curiously, he had NO forward window).

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple of them on eBay going to post it up there just not sure what I should post it for. Any suggestions thanks for all the helpVintage "Airplane" Model A or Rat Rod Hood Ornament Radiator Cap Original Nice | eBay
RARE Antique Airplane Emblem Lighted Electric Metal Hood Ornament Vintage WWII | eBay
Seems to be all over the place, yours looks better then the others, may be a repro but maybe not. Does the prop turn a small generator that lights up the cockpit? Since you don't know its authenticity I would let the market decide, Give it a 10 day auction for best exposure , any longer you risk people becoming disinterested any shorter you may not get the best price. Starting price double what you paid no reserve gets people talking on other forums and you might be surprised but there are no guaranties on the final bid.
My way of selling is to double my money minus fees., if I get more all the better.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one has the green glass in the cockpit and what looks to be a hole in the back to run a wire or something

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one has the green glass in the cockpit and what looks to be a hole in the back to run a wire or something
Could be a wire hole, Take off the 2 screws underneath and the wings will come off, maybe acess to a bulb inside. If so may be worth running a new wire(solder it) and check with a 12 volt supply, should be only one wire going to the center of the bulb, the other wire should be grounded somewhere inside...If you can get it lit show a pic of it lit up in the listing, it will increase bids.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a wire hole, Take off the 2 screws underneath and the wings will come off, maybe acess to a bulb inside. If so may be worth running a new wire(solder it) and check with a 12 volt supply, should be only one wire going to the center of the bulb, the other wire should be grounded somewhere inside...If you can get it lit show a pic of it lit up in the listing, it will increase bids.
I'd like to see a photo of that myself. I didn't even see the green glass. Looked like it didn't have any glass at all to me. I may have to change my thinking on this piece.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some photos with the light turned on in the inside. The inside is not actual glass it's More like film plastic it looks blue because I got a blue light inside but it's a green film

Attachments

• image-1861858264.jpg
    image-1861858264.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image-163697597.jpg
    image-163697597.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-4048954652.jpg
    image-4048954652.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 115

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks sweet, great photo, if you list it use one, the first pic looks great..Green film was used pretty far back, I think my old smoking tray was from the 40`s and it had a thin film like material, about as thin as regular photo film.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions