diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1- No, it hasn't quite reached that point yet. But it is getting close, if I don't start getting rid of some of this stuff. My display cabinets are way overfilled, I will say that. My spare bedroom is off limits to company too. Actually, I just need a bigger house.

2- My only guilt (since the wife goes with me and her kids are grown and gone) is when we have to leave our little dog home if we have an inside sale to go to. We haven't had him too long yet. He was a rescue dog from a kill shelter and he has abandonment issues. He's little enough to carry but it's a pita when your trying to hold on to items and him at the same time. Then, god forbid is someone has a cat.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My second bedroom looks like it is from the TV show hoarders!!!!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
1- Last week was my birthday. I normally have a few friends over for a little get-together. This year I canceled it. We met a different friends house. I explained that every chair in the dining room (except for the ones we use for the family) have piles of stuff on them ... jewelry ... and I didn't feel like cleaning it up. ROTFL!

2- My kids have complained to older siblings that I spend too much time on the jewelry. I am trying to spend more time with them. We did play a game last night ....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, is anyone else embarrassed to have people at their house due to piles of garage sale items? Second, I work full time and sometimes I feel bad that I give up a quarter/half of my weekend to garage sales and ebay. I don't bring the family anymore with me because it is just too much. Anybody else deal with the guilt?

1-One of our spare bedrooms is full to the hilt with my junk. A contractor friend of ours gave us cabinets from a kitchen that were probably twice the size of mine and I put them in the garage and they're completely full as well. Along with the countertop that is about 16 foot long completely full and three shelves that are open their full too! My wife makes me clean before any of our friends come out of town and I might as will just move out it takes forever!

2- it is addicting. I need to take off like August in order to just somewhat get caught up. I tell myself now I can do that but come Saturday morning when I wake up at 5:30 in the morning I can't sleep anymore and everybody else is passed out.... I look over and I have that big stack a one dollar bills with some 20s and hundreds at the back there's no way I'm sitting at home! It's like I get bored with the stuff I have and have to go find something new which turns into something i'm bored with again. Although I just spent the last three hours cleaning out my wife's car and washing it and cleaning out the garage and I'm sweating to death! I'm bummed that we have a conference to go to this weekend so no yard sales. So maybe I'll just take off the month LOL!!! Garage sales anonymous! GSA!!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, because all of the stuff I buy is in the garage because my wife makes things miserable if I happen to leave it inside unless it is jewelry that she likes! I don't feel guilty because our kids are grown and only one of my grandkids wants to go so he go's with me. I am usually done by 9:00am.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mugsime- My dining room table and chairs are covered and there are stacks of stuff around it so I know what you mean. If I did have friends over for dinner, they would have to eat on the couches in front of the tv.

Beachkid- We can start the Florida chapter of GSA but we'll have to do it at your house because of the above reasons. :)

I have a two year old that requires 100% attention and an 8 year old that hates going to garage sales. I also live in South Florida where it is 310 degrees at 5am

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mugsime- My dining room table and chairs are covered and there are stacks of stuff around it so I know what you mean. If I did have friends over for dinner, they would have to eat on the couches in front of the tv. Beachkid- We can start the Florida chapter of GSA but we'll have to do it at your house because of the above reasons. :) I have a two year old that requires 100% attention and an 8 year old that hates going to garage sales. I also live in South Florida where it is 310 degrees at 5am

This last part- do you have my kids? My 2 yr old wakes me up at 3 am wanting a snack and go to the Salvation Army! My 8 yr old gets mad when I wake them up! But now they are in summer camp. So they miss out on sales! Can't wait though, this school yr they are at a late school, so they will get 2 hrs in before school on Friday! And they will like it or I'll stop buying cereal with sugar!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This last part- do you have my kids? My 2 yr old wakes me up at 3 am wanting a snack and go to the Salvation Army! My 8 yr old gets mad when I wake them up! But now they are in summer camp. So they miss out on sales! Can't wait though, this school yr they are at a late school, so they will get 2 hrs in before school on Friday! And they will like it or I'll stop buying cereal with sugar!

Beach, I have 7, but there are only 3 at home right now. The youngest is 8. The two girls HATE going out with me to the thrift stores and consignment shops. Next Thursday they are going to my mom for 3 weeks, and I will have NO ONE home! I haven't had an empty house in 26 years!!!!

LOL about the not buying sugar cereal! Just make sure you don't feed it to them BEFORE you go shopping.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
No.

My house is perfectly clean, with not a single trace of ebay or flea market junk anywhere.

Want to ride in one of my two vehicles? Just call, and invite your friends. My vehicles are perfectly spotless too. I never have to worry about space in my cars, because they are empty. My pick up truck is empty as well.

My basement is empty also.

So is my shed.

I would never allow any unfinished projects stack up in my way in my workshop. Never.

Everything that I own is perfectly organized. Everything. And I dust it daily.

The only things that are in my way right now are a piece of oceanfront property in Arizona, and a bridge in Brooklyn. I need to sell both pieces of real estate immediately. Any takers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You own a bridge in Brooklyn? I didn't know you could own a bridge. How much did you pay for it?

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have **attempted** to address the problem by making a rule for myself that says if I buy it, I must list it that weekend and sell it as quickly as possible. And if when I look it up on ebay it won't bring in $25 in net profit, it goes to goodwill.

I still have clutter because the rule gets broken if it's a high dollar item that I need to sit on for a bit, or a really cool low value item that I can't bear to give away.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont even remember half of the stuff I have in piles. I look at it like my savings account.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My in-laws are coming for dinner Friday night. Guess who has to clean not only the dining room, but the family room as well. (Too bad about my desk. You almost can't see the monitor I have stuff piled so high. That I will alone.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread