Selling clothing...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you have luck selling clothes? I have bought some stuff at thrift stores and yard sales plus we have a lot that are pretty decent. I was thinking of putting on my wife's site because she has a basic store and has not used it very much, 50 listings of clothes articles by now or best offer and see how it goes. I sell primarily Coins Jewelry and collectibles plus stuff from other people, so I wonder if having a separate site with all clothing on it would be worthwhile!!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to You Tube, watch Raiken Profit and The thrifting lounge for clothes Ebay adivce. They are great!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel it's worth your time and effort then sure, why not. Best to research what you are selling though to make sure it actually is worh the effort. So far the only clothes I've sold were NWT's. I have a bunch of used stuff that I need to list though.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do. Prepare to spend a lot of time researching what is worth it and what is not. Brands, sizes, colors... etc. I still have some inventory from when I first started, but even the lesser items seem to eventually sell.

Provide measurements, they do help with sales.
Clothing is a saturated category, with lots of competition.

Easy to pack and ship and if you do them in batches it doesn't take very long.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, but just for quick reference, are all the buttons there, any holes, runs, fading, get a loose idea of things that run true to the size in the tag based on measurements. Some people can really shrink a shirt. Its hard to reverse size coats but possible. Strangely mens clothes seem to sell more. For me larger sizes sell for more. At first I was dropping the price when it didn't sell but then you just have to realize the sell through rate is not that great. So plan on listing it a few times. Having done it for a little while now I am very picky when I purchase. Shirts must be hard to find, in great shape and under $3. If I think I can get $100 for it I might pay $10. Thats what a pain it is.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one Salvation Army here has sales of their shirts for a dollar one day of the week. They almost come from a resort or something because most of them are Tommy Bahama. Or maybe because we just live by the ocean and the whole bunch people have that stuff and there's a lot of money here I'm not really sure. I bought two of them last week for a dollar each and sold them for 19.99 shipped. along with some medical scrubs for dollar each and they sold for $60 shipped. not to mention we have tons of kids clothes. I was just going to run them 30 days of by it now and see if they sell. And 50 at a time

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do well when I score new with tags in GW. Like I have a new London Fog Raincoat up now original tag $160.00. Got it for 14.99.
When I find Woman's clothes for the BIG girl they go in a few days.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Want to make some money selling clothes?Find some vintage levis.They use to be a very hot item in Japan(I dont know if they still are)the Japanese wouldnt hesitate to spend 500 bucks or more for a pair of the single back pocket levis.(1950s vintage i believe)

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, I don't have the patience to deal with Ebay and clothes. I take mine to an upscale consignment shop. I sew, so I know fabrics and names. They are very fussy on what they take. I picked up some Lilly Pulitzer for a song and turned around and sold it there. Yeah, I only get 50%. BUT, no pictures, no dealing with questions, no packing up, no shipping. Drop it off, then pick up a check. Then again, I've had a couple of pieces that they don't take, and I don't want. But then again, I only paid a buck or two ...
I don't know the first thing about mens clothes.
(ps-- I picked up a girls dress this week that is hopefully going to bring a lot. I'm just nervous that they are going to say it's too summery. I lost a spring outfit that I got in the winter when I put it somewhere for safe keeping and now it's lost. (In my sewing room; if I ever clean it, I will probably find it.)
Anyhoo. I don't think I was much help, except for I'm am all in favor of using the consignment stores. (I would send your wife in if you have ladies clothes.) Make sure you use that does not charge a yearly fee and that takes more than 55%. I think those are a huge rip off ($20 a year and they get 60%??? Not on your life!).

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought two Tommy Bahama shirts that still had the $100.00+ tags on them. Sold them for about $70 each! Did the same with Ralph Lauren Polo shirts. And football and basketball jerseys. I always go for the new with tags. My local Goodwill charges $5.99 for the well known brand shirts, so the profit is built in for me. I just have to beat other folks to them!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listed 7, 2 days ago and I went back and checked and had offers on three. None of them are too high but when paying a dollar each for all of them. so after fees are made about $28 total. Sorry if that does not make sense I just woke up.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listed 18 t shirts for $14.99 bin Obo free shipping. It has been a week and 10 of them have sold. They have sold for 9.99-14.99. Which I'm fine with, I paid .25-.99 each.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought two Tommy Bahama shirts that still had the $100.00+ tags on them. Sold them for about $70 each! Did the same with Ralph Lauren Polo shirts. And football and basketball jerseys. I always go for the new with tags. My local Goodwill charges $5.99 for the well known brand shirts, so the profit is built in for me. I just have to beat other folks to them!

Same Here, i found a Tommy Bahama shirt for 4.99, sold it for 50 bucks, didn't make a killing, but i did make a few bucks.

I also keep a look out of ANYTHING that is Rockabilly related, or "Steampunkish"...You can get some high $$ for those too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread