diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta watch it. Someone may have wised up on those jars. I don't trust anyone nowadays. Yes, I gotta start selling what I have too. Not necessarily jewelry, just everything in general.

ps- What the heck do they charge for those jars anyway? And what kind of "jar" is it anyway? How are they sealed? lol, i'm still fascinated by all of you that have jars of jewelry at the Goodwill. I want to see one.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta watch it. Someone may have wised up on those jars. I don't trust anyone nowadays. Yes, I gotta start selling what I have too. Not necessarily jewelry, just everything in general.

ps- What the heck do they charge for those jars anyway? And what kind of "jar" is it anyway? How are they sealed? lol, i'm still fascinated by all of you that have jars of jewelry at the Goodwill. I want to see one.

What I have seen like awful. But it is different in different locations. I guess

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one of the jars that was offered at my goodwill price ranging from 5.99 to 29.99 but for some reason they stop doing it and it sealed with tape on top I done pretty well with the jars

Attachments

• image-2304301046.jpg
    image-2304301046.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3963430287.jpg
    image-3963430287.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 114

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one of the jars that was offered at my goodwill price ranging from 5.99 to 29.99 but for some reason they stop doing it and it sealed with tape on top I done pretty well with the jars

This is what my Goodwill offers and then it's dirty or broken and I still want four dollars for it!

image-3803099423.jpg

I used to buy really nice gold and silver pieces about two years ago but it all goes online now.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Our jars go from $10.25 and up. Most of the time they are like $25.25, $35.25, and most of them are $45.25.
Today I spent $145.25 on a huge one. And $75.25. (and 25 & 35; I'm toast when hubby sees the CC bill).

I took a picture a few weeks ago to show my friends who was asking what they look like. Regular vases with clear tape across the top and final sale written all over it.

2014-07-17 22.34.14.jpg 2014-07-17 22.34.22.jpg 2014-07-17 22.36.46.jpg
(last picture is when I dumped it out. They shove goodies in the middle which is where you find all the cool stuff; usually.)

Those were a set of $40/45/65. It goes by what they think they put into the jars. Problem is, sometimes they think fake is real. Which is why I lost out today.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Thanks for the photos. I was picturing mason jars filled with jewelry, lol. I'm still gonna take a photo of the jewelry display at my local GW, just to show the lack of jewelry. I'll bet one jar would fill all of it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've never seen a jar at a thrift either, but it really wouldn't matter if I did. I wouldn't know a piece of gold if it dropped from the sky and hit me on the head.

A few weeks ago, at our indoor flea, one of the employees bought two jars for $8 each, and found some gold fraternal cuff links worth "at least $100", a pair of matching gold earrings, and some other gold. He says that he will clear at least $200 on the jars.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm cured.."- said by every gambler whose ever lost big

"They usually put the good stuff in the middle..." Kind of sound like "The machines at the end of the aisle.." or "The set the new machines to win.."

"My hubby is going to kill.." - Is anyone else getting my point?

I know you've scored pretty big before with this jars and i'm sure that's what's keeping you playing. 90% of what I buy today from ts and gs are sure things. Almost everything gets looked up before I buy unless it is something I've bought before.

I hope you don't take any offense to this. It's just my opinion on the matter..

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean. There is a big difference between investing and gambling. Neither one is a sure thing but investments are based on known factors. Gambling is based on hope. Gambling can be lots of fun - especially when you hit a big score. As long as the money spent (on gambling or investing) doesn't adversely affect the important things in life, there is no problem.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delay but no it's not a snake belt it's just the necklace

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm cured.."- said by every gambler whose ever lost big

"They usually put the good stuff in the middle..." Kind of sound like "The machines at the end of the aisle.." or "The set the new machines to win.."

"My hubby is going to kill.." - Is anyone else getting my point?

I know you've scored pretty big before with this jars and i'm sure that's what's keeping you playing. 90% of what I buy today from ts and gs are sure things. Almost everything gets looked up before I buy unless it is something I've bought before.

I hope you don't take any offense to this. It's just my opinion on the matter..

Agree 100% there is a huge difference between gambling & real treasure hunting. This gambling tactic is not for me, if I want to gamble I'll go metal detecting or to storage auctions! I seek out treasures that I can see & touch first then make an educated decision about buying or not! I only buy or at least pay for what I know are sure things to at least triple/quadruple my money very easily on (sometimes I end up with hidden treasures in pallets I buy but I never ever buy because of what could be in one of the boxes on a pallet) I only pay in accordance to what I can see in the boxes for sure. I also never buy anything on credit nor with a debit card, if I don't have the cash in my pocket I don't buy! Tho I never knock the way other people get their fix or do their treasure hunting, I mean to each his own but it's not much different than me posting my scratch off wins on here & calling it (getting lucky) treasure hunting. BTW I don't buy lotto tix either so that was just an example.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I pay my CC up in full each month. (Crazy, but I'm a "dead beat" to the CC companies for that reason.)

I went through my stuff the other day. I have so much vintage stuff . I just don't know what is really worth more and what is just some nice old jewelry. I've gotta get some good pictures and get auctions up. My next goal is to buy my hubby a bike. (the kind you do races on.) So I need to sell, sell, sell. (the bike is 2K.)

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay my CC up in full each month. (Crazy, but I'm a "dead beat" to the CC companies for that reason.)

I went through my stuff the other day. I have so much vintage stuff . I just don't know what is really worth more and what is just some nice old jewelry. I've gotta get some good pictures and get auctions up. My next goal is to buy my hubby a bike. (the kind you do races on.) So I need to sell, sell, sell. (the bike is 2K.)

Ya the credit card company just loves you...lol. Do you have any old bakelite jewelry?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well our goodwill up here fill up zip lock bags with jewelry……,I never bought any … I just thought i would be sorry if i put out money for those jewelry bags..

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a GW jewelry bag a few weeks ago because I spotted a Tiffany&Co key ring. It was tarnished, so it didn't stand out among the jewelry. Bag cost $24.99 and sold the key ring for $125.00. And some if the costume pieces are nice.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Mugsisme...I didn't buy a regular jar after I went on a binge 2 weeks ago. But I did buy a jar in a GW auction for $80 after missing a gold lot that contained an 18k 10gram necklace and pendant! I arrived a couple minutes after my jewelry nemesis bought the lot for $36! He only buys jewelry jars that he can clearly see good pieces in and didn't bid on the jar I got! Lucky for me! I got a 3.5 gram 14k ring, a 14k pendant with what I am guessing is supposed to be a silver Spanish coin. I found a nice necklace marked 14k but took it to Kay Jewelers and the clerk said they could not do a test but she was sure it was gold plated. I was happy that the jar still paid off with nice pieces, but bummed about the necklace. Sooo...I took it to a Gold buyer for testing. He immediately said it was real, tested it at my request, and after weighing it (31.8dwt) offered me $699.00 for it! I thanked him for everything, sold him some scrap from the same jar for $20 and walked away happy. I'll be putting the necklace on eBay tomorrow. Have not decided the starting price though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I travel the tri county area doing my regular job for TJX companies inc.. I've made it a point to stop at a different GW everytime I have the chance. I have visited 6 different GW stores in 3 counties over the past week. No jars. I did find 2 nice Mickey Mouse watches and a vintage Bell Trading post sterling ring with a large faceted Hematite today. Paid $13 for the 3. This was at a GW down in the hood in N.Miami.

ps- I never seem to find any bakelite jewelry "in the wild" for some reason?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread