May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in envy of you guys and all the finds at thrift stores. The ones here are awful. I found a new one and was blown away. I easily could have spent a small fortune there but since I don't resell I have to be careful. Anyway I checked the silver area of the store and there were tons of silver items. Unfortunately none were real. I moved in the back and there was a household section and I spied this salt and paper shaker. It has sterling caps and a silver foil applied design on the side. I got the pair for $2. I only show the photo of the one. As I was leaving I see the art section. There were mostly prints and what I call BART (short for bad art). I saw one nice frame and thought that it was too nice of a framing job. After a real close inspection the dang this was an original watercolor. The price was $25 with 20% off. Now I am beside myself because the draftsmanship is beyond amazing. This was one talented artist. I discovered that the artist is Josette Gourley. Can't find much online about her but the talent is what I am in awe of. I estimate it to be an $800-$1000 value. To really appreciate the detail, open the photo and zoom in. Unbelievable detail. It may not be to very ones taste but it is a prize in my art collection.

IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2885.jpg

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pics,one of my favorite bugs

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, do you know a lot about art?

Not a whole lot but I have an eye for quality. The rest is research and a lot of luck. My prize find is an Enrico Tarenghi watercolor. He is considered an Italian master. The problem is 99% of art is decorative. There is only a small number that have real value but as with anything it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I can say it is worth that much but I would have to find a buyer.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I like the praying mantis. That is what makes the picture. My aunt used to do watercolors and her art used to appear in Virginia Wildlife magazine back in the 70's. This piece reminded me of her. Thanks for sharing. Nice find on the salt and peppers too!

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do with it, don't try to have sex with it...It will try to eat you afterwards.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you come up with your value of $800-1000?

I based it on if it was new in a gallery. Ultimately it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it….in this case $21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread