Walked right in the door...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I held the door for somebody else. This lady who had a really nice Mercedes-Benz dressed like she was super wealthy. Looked like she ran the drs office next door! Well off from what I could tell!
I hit the jewelry first as always. No idea where she went. They had 1 bag of mixed broken jewelry. $1.99. Then a bag of junk watches for $4.99. I decided to buy the jewelry bag and leave the watch bag.
She comes up behind me as I'm ready to pay, "um, hi! I was wondering if I could have that bag if jewelry!" Me: no. Her: " but I want it for my kids to look through!" Me: I'm sorry.. Her" jerk, thanks for nothing!" Me: your welcome...

So this is was I got. Lipstick new that sells for $20. A watch that sells for $35-40. A sweet sterling and fire opal ring. 10k toe ring, single 14k diamond pearl earring. And some other random junk- sterling.
I would have told her no at a yard sale too. Crazy rude people!

image-3415676983.jpg

image-4252483043.jpg

image-1802926175.jpg

image-462564170.jpg

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate people like that! Must think she's entitled. Nice grab!

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one of my frequent thrift stores there is an older woman who I've run in to (well, she usually barges into me). She has to be in her early 80's. It upsets me bc I was always taught to respect my elders. I even shifted over to make room for her. She elbows me (almost in the face) - well, so much for respect!

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I was taught to respect my elders too. Thankfully I never listened to anything my parents ever told me. :tongue3: Seriously though, I have run into so many old rude crotchety types at sales, any respect I gave in the past now has to be earned.

37 years on this earth has taught me people don't change, if they were pricks when they were younger they are going to be pricks when they are older. Just when they are older they will have that aura of self entitlement.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait. Let me get this straight. You are standing on line to pay, and she wants what is in your hands?? Is she nuts??? Would she do that in a department store? OMG. I can't believe the nerve. Yeah, total entitlement. Sheesh.

I like what you got. Check out the pin. It may be worth more than you think.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I probably would have laughed in her face and said some wise crack. Did she say thank you when you first held the door for her? If not my first words (not last words) to her would have been "uh, your welcome" with attitude added in tone of voice. I give respect until I am shown otherwise, then all bets are off and so are my gloves. I can be as rude and crude as the next a-hole only i'm bigger, louder and scarier.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
A few months ago, I was at an estate sale and I overheard this elderly lady ask the seller if they had any gourds. You know, like this:

driedgourdexample.jpg

I had just been poking around in a shed and noticed a gourd in there so I went back into the shed and got it. When I came out, the lady was still talking to the seller. I said, "Ma'am, were you looking for gourds?" and showed her the gourd I just picked up. Without saying a word, the old lady snatched it out of my hand. If she's that rude over a gourd (of all things), I'd hate to see what she's like if something really valuable was involved.

BTW, nice score beachkid! Love that opal ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have personally witnessed an old lady cup a gold ring in her hand and then ask the seller how much for a pile of jewelry sitting in front of her. She paid while still holding the ring. I am fairly sure the seller did not know the old lady had the ring. I would have said something but I normally prefer to mind my own business and I walked up just as I saw her cup the ring so I dont know for sure if she was intentionally concealing it.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I get the "for my kid, my brother, my disabled brother, my disabled kid brother" all the time on ebay. It happens when I list an item I know is going to be in a bidding war, and I start getting the emails: "my disabled brother would just love this", "this is a project my grandson and I have always wanted to work on". "You would really make an uncle happy to see the look on his handicapped nephew's face when he gets this at Christmas!" - and they all offer me a third or fourth of what I know it will go for.

All lies. I even responded to one pimping his so-called "disabled war vet brother" to have his brother call me. Curiously, I got no call.

Last edited:

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get the "for my kid, my brother, my disabled brother, my disabled kid brother" all the time on ebay. It happens when I list an item I know is going to be in a bidding war, and I start getting the emails: "my disabled brother would just love this", "this is a project my grandson and I have always wanted to work on". "You would really make an uncle happy to see the look on his handicapped nephew's face when he gets this at Christmas!" - and they all offer me a third or fourth of what I know it will go for. All lies. I even responded to one pimping his so-called "disabled war vet brother" to have his brother call me. Curiously, I got no call.

Hahaha, I have had a bunch of buyers do this to me over reasonably priced BIN items. "This would mean the world to X for the short time he has left. Please consider lowering the price."

Yeah, nothing will stand between you and Grandpa's lifetime of guaranteed joy... except a $10 bill...

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Strangely enough I don't ever remember that happening to me. I get lowball offers and such but never a story.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha, I have had a bunch of buyers do this to me over reasonably priced BIN items. "This would mean the world to X for the short time he has left. Please consider lowering the price." Yeah, nothing will stand between you and Grandpa's lifetime of guaranteed joy... except a $10 bill...

Never had that one. But I have gotten" I had one stolen like this, where did you get it?" Where are you located? Can you send it to me so I can check it to make sure it's not mine?" Sure I can, you pay me the asking price, I'll send it to you! Blocked!!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here there is a certain stereotype those kind of people fall into! I'm not going to say it but lets just say these same people are historically known as "misers". And in Florida there are more of them than anywhere & she looked well off to boot. hmmm imagine that! These people are often the rudest people you ever meet & they feel majority entitled too especially at sales! I would've had some not so kind words for someone, anyone acting like that! You should have told her you make money this way to send that money off to feed starving kids wherever. Then you should have asked her why she wants to take food out of starving kids mouths? Heck if they can lie about why they are buying it then so can you or I!!!!

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it. Where is the COMMON decency in people? It should be common! You know maybe I could expect this behavior only if someone was desperate to put food on the table but otherwise that is totally unacceptable! Is the item in question (whatever it is) worth being a jerk over? Where is the integrity??? Most people today don't even know what integrity is, let alone possess it. I feel sorry for the the world my children have to grow up in.

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW great finds! I apologize for ranting on your thread.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a worse experience at the same store about six weeks ago. The lady nearly knocked me over trying to get to the same type of jewelry bag. So I guess I expect scum. LOL. Like the people you smile at and say hi ! But they roll their eyes and look the other way! Makes you feel like you're in high school again but now, punching them In the face has more consequences that your older then 18! So either everybody is super poor and that makes them turn into jerks or they're all greedy and don't care about anyone else! I'm going to go with both of those!

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what makes this site so AWESOME. People coming together with a common interest and "sharing" knowledge.

It's this wealth of knowledge that you won't find anywhere else....let alone knowledge sharing.

I've learned so very much from the people on this site, in particular this thread. Special shout out to TAMROCK and DIGGUMUP, I honestly couldn't have done it without you.

WE ARE simply put "A DIFFERENT BREED"!!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what makes this site so AWESOME. People coming together with a common interest and "sharing" knowledge.

It's this wealth of knowledge that you won't find anywhere else....let alone knowledge sharing.

I've learned so very much from the people on this site, in particular this thread. Special shout out to TAMROCK and DIGGUMUP, I honestly couldn't have done it without you.

WE ARE simply put "A DIFFERENT BREED"!!!
How sweet of you to say that mjm579, Over some time I've seen you focus on things of true value and do less of the of the stuff that in my opinion is not worth grabbing even though they are fun and interesting objects. Your batting average has improved so much lately. Your hitting homers I've noticed almost every time I review your post. You keep knocking it out of the park lady. " cuz It's a blast"... Indeed! Diggum's a great resource.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tell her theres some watch stuff over there "your kids' can play with...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread