Just for Fun, Reed & Barton vs. I.S. -- Can you tell which is which? USNavy Spoons

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Just for Fun, Reed & Barton vs. I.S. -- Can you tell which is which? USNavy Spoons

I picked up a few USN spoons at an estate sale a few weeks ago. While examining them I noticed that one spoon was Reed and Barton, another International Silver.
At that point I couldn't help myself from trying to tell the difference between the two spoons, and I ended up "liking" the Reed & Barton more than the I.S. But people fool themselves all the time; if it has a better name, it's better quality, better looking, just preferable in every way except at the checkout counter.
These are both Mil Spec issue for the Captain's quarters; you can tell by the eagle, the staff got the same pattern but the stamp was called "fouled anchor". BTW, it's called the King's pattern, which seems an odd choice for a republic, or a representative democracy.
So am I nuts? Do the details on one of these spoons look just a little more refined than the other? Left/Right; the spoons are the same in all the pics. After you look at all the pictures, just decide if you think the spoon on the left or the spoon on the right better represents the King's pattern. The pics are BIG, sharp and tightly cropped. Hopefully, not too big.

Attachments

• navy1.jpg
    navy1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 118
  • navy2.jpg
    navy2.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Navy3.jpg
    Navy3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • Navy4.jpg
    Navy4.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 106

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoon on the right looks like better detail and quality. The one on the left just looks like its been polished and shined up. Definitly not much difference though.

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'll give it a few days and submit the answer on Wednesday night. Notice that you have to click on an image 3 times to get to full size. Click one pops it into a new window, click two is full screen, click three is 100% image size. That's how it works in my browser, anyway.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One on the right is better detailed. My vote is for reed & barton.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say the one on the left. That isn't a fouled anchor stamp though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, this post reminds me of the 32 piece set that I was watching recently. They didn't have it listed a Kings pattern, only as "WW2 ? US Navy officers silverware". I thought I was gonna get lucky and get it for cheap. It was listed for $19.99. Then the last 2 days it started getting bids. Ended up selling for $152 and change. WW2 US Navy Officers Silverware | eBay

OP
OP
B

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Let's put this to bed before it rolls off the first page: Reed and Barton is on the ........................................LEFT.
I could tell you why I preferred the R&B, pointing out insignificant details here and there. But the fact is people who didn't know which was which preferred International Silver over Reed & Barton 4 to 2. The sample size was small, but it didn't seem to be getting any bigger so I'll take what I can get. Thanks for Playing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread