cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had more yardsales on my route than I could possible hit. Started out visiting my cell phone connection, he had 420 phones. My last visit was 2 weeks ago. He has been busy.

Then off to yardsales. My very first stop I bought a model 24 singer sewing machine for $5. checked it out later and it was made in 1904. The pic below is not the one i bought. mine is "farm fresh" no rust but frozen solid. I can be restored.

Then I bought a lot of coins. here are some shots of the silver. Notice the two 1783 Spanish silver 8 reales made in Mexico city. I am still researching these.

I also bought a lot of modern clad coins in "collector" cases. The guy just wanted to get rid of them. He wanted face value for the coins. I forget the total face but is was over $60.00

Attachments

• mod24.jpg
    mod24.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 102
  • COINS-01.jpg
    COINS-01.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 116
  • COINS-02.jpg
    COINS-02.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 119
  • COINS-03.jpg
    COINS-03.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 109
  • COINS-04.jpg
    COINS-04.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 107
  • COINS-05.jpg
    COINS-05.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 102

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff!!! My parents have alot of yard sales, and they tell me people will walk up and ask " Do you have any coins?" and when they say no, the turn around and get back in thier car..lol

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff!!! My parents have alot of yard sales, and they tell me people will walk up and ask " Do you have any coins?" and when they say no, the turn around and get back in thier car..lol
and that is it? I never turn around right away. I do a little small talk and look a little bit at other things and then leave. Even with this guy last saturday when I asked about coins he said he only had what was on the table. I told him I liked older American coins and then poked around at what he had. Then after a minute he called me over to his truck and pulled out a fair sized box. I bought everything in that box.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I too ask for coins, but only at sales where I think they might have some. I usually ask for coins currency or tokens. Good luck!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice Reales and sewing machine too!

I used to only ask about jewelry and coins as I was just buying gold and silver a few years ago. It was important to hit as many sales as possible before the competition got to them first. It was a great time for buying and could make many hundreds on a fair day. That has changed and I look for anything now.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was important to hit as many sales as possible before the competition got to them first. It was a great time for buying and could make many hundreds on a fair day.
Tell me about it. I hear this a lot "you are the 3rd person today to ask for ...."

Now there is even someone asking for cell phones. A month ago at a big community garage sale. people kept saying "some guy just asked me that" He must have been a few houses ahead of me. I wanted to catch up and see who my competition was.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you buy the silver eagles at $1 apiece? if so, that's incredible!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you buy the silver eagles at $1 apiece? if so, that's incredible!
That'd be nice but I don' think so. He said "modern clad".

Nice find on all that silver Dan. I've had a few of those colorized AE's in the past. The color is just a plastic coating that will easily peel off if you want it to. They aren't actually painted. I couldn't resist peeling it off myself.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That'd be nice but I don' think so. He said "modern clad".
I forgot to say part of that modern clad were 4-up sheets of uncut $1 & $2 bills in a padded "collector" book. I think the buyer bought a lot of Franklin mint k-rap.

1360615918.jpg

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that is it? I never turn around right away. I do a little small talk and look a little bit at other things and then leave. Even with this guy last saturday when I asked about coins he said he only had what was on the table. I told him I liked older American coins and then poked around at what he had. Then after a minute he called me over to his truck and pulled out a fair sized box. I bought everything in that box.

The reales were minted in Mexico City and Lima, Peru, if memory serves. They are a pretty common coin and should be worth anywhere from 50-120 depending on condition.

I bought one years ago for 2 bucks and it was already mounted in a holder and surrounded by a red felt framework. Turns out it was a El Cazador shipwreck coin, and the prices I quotd you were what the coin guy quoted me. Since they were dumped in the ocean, conditions can vary since they spent many years getting tumbled around. I think he said the coins were sold by a tv shopping channel like qvc or franklin mint

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reales were minted in Mexico City and Lima, Peru, if memory serves. Turns out it was a El Cazador shipwreck coin..........tv shopping channel like qvc or franklin mint
Yes, the back of both coins have what I call "salt water effect" I can make out the design but it is worn much more than the front. The front has a very fine sand blast effect. I have a feeling these were also sold as El Cazador coins. Each one came in a very nice wooden display box with a button on the back. I pushed the button and four LEDs came on inside the box, spotlighting the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions