Huge Picture Frame Score...3 Years Too Late!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, thanks all for the motivation to get out and pick these auctions, thrift stores, estates, and yard sales. There is definitely a learning curve, but I'm enjoying the new hobby.

And now, an example of this learning curve...

I was at a local auction house on Tuesday night, and jumped in with a $5 bid on a rolling cart filled with boxes of picture frames. The problem is I couldn't see the picture frames very clearly, as this portion of the auction was held in the parking lot and it was already quite dark, and of course, crowded. Well, I ended up winning with my $5 bid, and I am now the proud owner of 300+ 4"x6" picture frames...celebrating the graduating Class of 2011! Any ideas on how to best unload these? I was thinking of selling them as a lot for crafters - they could be decorated with rhinestones or puffy glue or something? Or I wait another 7 years until the Class of 2011 has their ten year reunion and they'll sell like hotcakes! :tongue3:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
This should be a contest on the apprentice, here is 150 frames for each team, whoever sells more wins the challenge. Email donald trump, he might like the idea and buy them off you.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, that's a lot of frames. I would take my lumps and call it a small loss, you may end up spending valuable time figuring out how to sell these and get very little in return. Just my thoughts anyway.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I would put a few on ebay for cheap (maybe $3 BIN) and see what kind of response you get. 2011 isn't that long ago and there may still be parents out there with graduation pictures they haven't framed yet. Make sure to charge enough for shipping to cover your cost. It might be tough to sell 300 but I think you might make a little money on them.

steif

Mar 2, 2007
Where do you sell items at for the most part? if at a flea or shop, I would set a few out for a couple bucks each and see what happens. The idea I have is disassemble them, take the glass out and spray paint them in various colors and reassemble. that would be simple enough to do and they should sell then. I would love to run onto a find like that, I frame vintage ads from newspapers and magazines, and I would paint them then frame stuff in them myself...I buy any frame thats a quarter or less from sales and frame all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread