must see! Amazing video & story!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Things that look like trash & thus end up in the trash a lot over the years is what makes the ones that didn't get thrown away or destroyed have the value they have.

Yeah, that is my feeling exactly. I walk by so much, and think to myself, I wonder if any of this is awesome stuff?

This was a beautiful video, very well made. Yeah, brought tears to my eyes to see such a happy ending. I thought the bidding was going to stop at a million. Good for him!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's part of why those items have the greatest value. Things that look like trash & thus end up in the trash a lot over the years is what makes the ones that didn't get thrown away or destroyed have the value they have.

Things with extreme value look a lot like trash. :icon_scratch: I think you're on to something.

I would not slow down to look at any blanket. An elaborate quilt might get a second look. How many million dollar blankets have we all walked by???

On the rare chance you have an extremely valuable item you go on the Roadshow with your really rare find and then get to hear it picked apart by an appraiser. If only you hadn't looked at it for so long, if only you had never cleaned it, if only nothing was broken on this 100 year old piece, why didn't you kept it in a climate controlled room on acid free paper underneath UV glass, if only the provenance including royalty who left you a letter explaining how they enjoyed it then you would have something worth 5* more. Its a shame someone used it.

I'm joking but half the time they say you should pay to have it restored the other half of the time its a tragedy it was restored. The one thing I am sure of; if its an old table that is so worn out that nobodys wife or mother would allow it in the house. You should not have anything done to it.

Actually based on your inspiration post awhile back I started going to auctions and I learned how little I know. But its a lot of fun.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story, but the more i think about it, why wasn't he working? Just because he's missing a leg? I don't want to rain on a heart warming story, but there are plenty of jobs out there for amputees, I know 3 personally that are working. No big deal. I wish him the best, But it makes me wonder if he can hold on to the money.

Although i dont know his backstory it makes me wonder the same thing.

My brother just lost his left hand this year actually, n was back to work full time within 3 months, wasn't even able to get disability, go figure.

Congratulations to that guy though for his payday, hopefully he spends/invests it wisely.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Very happy for the guy.

I bet that he got killed in federal income taxes! I wonder if he was charged at the capital gains rate, or if he had to pay tax as if it were regular income??

Thank you for sharing...I think we would all love to have a massive find like that. I would never work another day in my life with a score like that!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very happy for the guy.

I bet that he got killed in federal income taxes! I wonder if he was charged at the capital gains rate, or if he had to pay tax as if it were regular income??

Thank you for sharing...I think we would all love to have a massive find like that. I would never work another day in my life with a score like that!

Like people who hit the lottery who then quit playing the lottery??? LOL. You would not quit, instead you might just take more chances on buys you make in hopes of making another big score! Sometimes its not the money its the treasure hunting aspect of it! I wouldn't quit picking if I hit for $5 million, its too much fun!

Last edited:

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link I.G , dreams can come true , always nice to see the battlers do good ..cheers Mick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions