Whats in your pocket when youre out of the house?

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats in your pocket when you're out of the house?

I'm curious what all you other treasure hunters bring with you when you're out and about. Not your tools at home, but the things you always carry with you. I've been using the same set-up for over a year now and I'm pretty happy with it, I never leave the house without it!
Includes...
-Photon Micro Light II: Very bright, small and tough little light, one hand operation.
-Photon Micro Light UV: Same light but a 370nm UV. Great for vaseline glass, diamonds, pearls, stones ect. Has a nice true long-wave diode very handy.
-Swiss army knife: Phillips and flathead screwdriver, metal file, scissors, bottle opener, tweezers, blade.
-Neodymium magnet: From an old job's nametag, removed the plastic on the swiss knife and it sticks to it perfectly. Has an aluminum backing which does a good job of keeping it from sticking to anything when attached to the knife. Used for testing metals.
- I have a loupe too but I usually don't carry it. I'm lucky to be able to read even the smallest hallmarks (at least for now)

WQO8TT7.png

magnet detached from knife
DebgMeu.jpg

attached to the keys
rMk6vax.jpg

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really love your magnet/Swiss army knife setup, if I can find an appropriately-sized magnet I will upgrade the one I carry as well, and cut an aluminum plate to fit for shielding. I don't usually bring lights with me because I haven't had much of an issue with being able to see things well in available light but I have been looking for a small, well-made UV light so thanks for the rec.

In addition to my (tiny) bankroll I carry a similarly-sized Swiss army knife, a few baggies ranging from quart sized to jewelry bags, and a tiny test magnet currently on a spare key ring that I keep with my car keys. Recently I've taken to throwing a bag into my trunk with broken silver scrap, some junk silver coins and any sterling jewelry I have that I don't want to keep, gift to family/friends, or mess with selling on eBay, as I have started trading weight for weight with a couple of flea market vendors for things that I either like personally or that are more sellable online.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you carry + a good LED lit loop & a soft clothing or sewing type retractable tape measure. Mic's are to big for my taste to carry so I personally prefer a small retractable soft tape & its better for larger items anyway.

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I carry is a set of high mag readers to be discreet, my loupe, a lucky 8 reale and precious metals kit with scale. Of course cash!!!

BTW, I'm a locksmith by trade, with your pic and some pretty basic equipment and knowledge I can cut keys to your car and home from here(in seconds). Just a heads up.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I carry is a set of high mag readers to be discreet, my loupe, a lucky 8 reale and precious metals kit with scale. Of course cash!!!

BTW, I'm a locksmith by trade, with your pic and some pretty basic equipment and knowledge I can cut keys to your car and home from here(in seconds). Just a heads up.

Discreet with the glasses while your using your gold testing kit??? Hmmm I don't think you're fooling anyone that way...lol

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started my g-saling purely as a precious metals(jewelery) buyer. I didn't ever look at what they had for sale, just went straight to the homeowner, introduced myself and what I was looking for and flashed credentials(business card) and cash if I saw "the look" when telling them I bought fine jewelry, coins and even broken and scrap gold items. I let them know that I paid far better than "cash for gold" joints and even the jewelry stores would pay. I learned this from this site many years ago. Now that has slowed to a crawl, I look first to get it cheap, if not there, I ask and hand them a card and tell them that I am the buyer of all the local gold buyers and I will grab my jewelry kit and you grab your items and see the value. I don't walk into a sale and start testing jewelry, although I have seen people do it. I am relatively new to ebay, buying gold and silver, being a smooth operator and proving my words have brought great dividends.

I rarely show my gold buys here as I usually don't get them cheap and advertise as a precious metals dealer. I can show you a box of receipts from ARA for the last 5 years...it's all good.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Honestly, you all will laugh, but I try to bring tools with me, especially a pair of Klein side cuts, an adjustable wrench, and Pic-wic screwdriver with multiple tips.

I buy mostly from auctions and at a thrift outlet, and I never want to be without those basic tools. There is nothing like being 80 miles from home, having spent $200 on something at an auction, and have absolutely no way to remove it from a wall/factory/office/restaurant without tools.

I once bought a stunningly nice, almost new, iced tea maker at a foreclosure auction for $25. A great deal, but I had forgotten my tools at home, and I almost had to go buy tools to remove the water line from the back. I flipped that tea maker for $135 the very next week, but I was sweating it for a while, being 30 miles or more from home! At that same auction, I bought the phone system for $25, which is prolly my best single score ever, and had no tools to remove it. I physically had to yank it from the wall.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, you all will laugh, but I try to bring tools with me, especially a pair of Klein side cuts, an adjustable wrench, and Pic-wic screwdriver with multiple tips.

I buy mostly from auctions and at a thrift outlet, and I never want to be without those basic tools. There is nothing like being 80 miles from home, having spent $200 on something at an auction, and have absolutely no way to remove it from a wall/factory/office/restaurant without tools.

I once bought a stunningly nice, almost new, iced tea maker at a foreclosure auction for $25. A great deal, but I had forgotten my tools at home, and I almost had to go buy tools to remove the water line from the back. I flipped that tea maker for $135 the very next week, but I was sweating it for a while, being 30 miles or more from home! At that same auction, I bought the phone system for $25, which is prolly my best single score ever, and had no tools to remove it. I physically had to yank it from the wall.

Tools go with me but stay in the car... I also am never without, needle nose pliers / cutters. A multi screwdriver, large pocket knife, & a small adjustable wrench. You just never know when you might need those things. Seems like I let people borrow them more than I actually use them especially at auctions.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't carry them with me either. Tools stay in the car.

Seems that I don't have your problem...I keep buying stuff that needs dismantled!!!!

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if side of the hip counts, Its gunna be a 9mm or a .45 :icon_thumright: Other then that, its just my wallet phone and a handy-dandy pocket knife!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a leatherman micra on my keychain and I always have a gerber multitool in my car. Plus cash, hand sanitizer, bubble wrap and a box.

My secret weapon is a Smart Car that I can just about park anywhere. When other people are parking and then hiking to an estate sale down a street lined with cars, I am fitting mine into half a spot right in front.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
My "picking kit" includes:

- High power LED flashlight (great early morning sales and for seeing clearly into dark corners)
- Cash (I bring a few hundred bucks in a variety of denominations. It's amazing how many sellers aren't prepared to make change)
- Reading glasses (can't see squat without them)
- Small lighted pocket magnifier (so I can see details clearly)
- iPhone (for navigation and sometimes to check prices)
- Prioritized list of garage sale addresses
- The Wife (she hates being left home!)

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the UV light idea hadnt thought of that. I just started hitting the sales and have been bringing pretty much everything the others have mentioned: jewelry loupe, powerful magnet, smartphone, sunshine polishing cloth, garage sale itinerary, cash (about $300) $50 in singles and the rest $5's and $10's, watch shucker tool and some other standard tools and always good luck!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I didn't ever look at what they had for sale, just went straight to the homeowner, introduced myself and what I was looking for and flashed credentials(business card) and cash if I saw "the look" when telling them I bought fine jewelry, coins and even broken and scrap gold items. I let them know that I paid far better than "cash for gold" joints and even the jewelry stores would pay. I look first to get it cheap, if not there, I ask and hand them a card and tell them that I am the buyer of all the local gold buyers and I will grab my jewelry kit and you grab your items and see the value. I don't walk into a sale and start testing jewelry,...being a smooth operator and proving my words have brought great dividends.

War,

I would love to roll with you for a day sometime...I would love to hear how you work deals, and hear what you have to say when you talk with your customer. I don't do gold or silver, but I bet $1,000 that I could learn a few cool tips from you that would apply to other areas of buying.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War,

I would love to roll with you for a day sometime...I would love to hear how you work deals, and hear what you have to say when you talk with your customer. I don't do gold or silver, but I bet $1,000 that I could learn a few cool tips from you that would apply to other areas of buying.

Yup War is a smooth operator from the sounds of it.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for a small, well-made UV light so thanks for the rec.
I've looked into UV's WAY too much recently so here's a quick list of pocket sized ones I recommend. They are all 365nm to 375nm which is less visible light and more true UV waves for a more accurate fluorescent glow and can be used for a wider variety of jobs.

Key Chain Size
Option #1($14) 375nm Pros: super tiny, cheap, well built, decent battery life. // Cons: Uses uncommon battery, narrow beam.(currently own)
Option #2($40) 375nm Pros: Wider beam, AAA batt, well built, slightly brighter than #1. // Cons: Cost $40 (I want this one)

Micro Pocket Size (for a bit more power)
Option #3($38) 365nm Pros: AA batt, zero visible light. // Cons: low quality control, short battery life.
Option #4($80) 375nm Pros: AA batt, crazy bright for size, 2 in 1 Uv and white modes, good quality, good battery life. // Cons: just the price. (I really really want this one)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread