hiding in the silver

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 14k art deco ladies watch chain necklace was hiding among the thriftstore sterling. Unusual and we'll executed.

we buy a lot of silver scrap from dealers and there is often some white gold or paladium mixed in. If it's a regular we can track down i give the gold back.

When it's out in the case at the thriftstore. ....it seems like fair game to me. Though it does feel ever so slightly wrong.

ForumRunner_20140821_144303.png

ForumRunner_20140821_144314.png

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Wait a minute, you're returning gold to dealers who thought they were selling silver? If a transaction ends happily on both sides, I don't see any reason to reopen it. If you are in the middle of a transaction it would be nice to hand something back and say "oops, you missed this." But once it's in my pocket and paid for, it's mine. I decide where to dispense charity; and it's rarely back from whence it came.

I apologize if that sounds harsh. I just feel that treasure hunters should stop apologizing and giving back the treasures they find. It is no more stealing than pulling something out of a dumpster. It is treasure because we found it. We deserve the reward, and we can dispense with guilt and keep or spread wealth to any charity as we deem appropriate.

Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute, you're returning gold to dealers who thought they were selling silver? If a transaction ends happily on both sides, I don't see any reason to reopen it. If you are in the middle of a transaction it would be nice to hand something back and say "oops, you missed this." But once it's in my pocket and paid for, it's mine. I decide where to dispense charity; and it's rarely back from whence it came.

I bet the dealers he returns the items to are customers for life. He wins in the long run.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I bet the dealers he returns the items to are customers for life. He wins in the long run.
They are not the customers; he is the customer, they are the sellers. So when was the last time anyone went back to Walmart saying "I can't take this; I feel as if I'm stealing, the price is just too low!" And how would that change Walmart's business practices? And how much of a preferred customer status would you receive? Not much I bet.

Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Semantics....also Walmart is a monster corp. The personal touch goes a long way.

Last edited:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6

I apologize if that sounds harsh. I just feel that treasure hunters should stop apologizing and giving back the treasures they find. It is no more stealing than pulling something out of a dumpster. It is treasure because we found it. We deserve the reward, and we can dispense with guilt and keep or spread wealth to any charity as we deem appropriate.

Please indulge me cuz I want to weigh in on this, put my two cents in on how I do my business and sleep at night. At a yard sale, if there is a price on it and I know it is worth more and I pay the asking price without trying to talk it down or offer less, my conscience is clear and I rest easy and make some money. If at a yard sale something isn't marked and they give me the "make me an offer." line, I usually say, truthfully, I think I can get X for this, I will give you 1/2 X. I haven't lied and I sleep well that night. More to this point, if I am buying gold from someone and they have that helpless, I need the money look I give them a little extra, explain to them what the melt is and what percentage of that I am willing to pay while I wait for a check or if it is too pretty to melt, to find a buyer for it. That way, again I sleep well. If I am in a business person's establishment and they have something underpriced enough that there is room for me to profit, I pay their price and have no guilt feelings. They are a business person, with their own shop, I don't feel it is my responsibility to inform them if I think something is underpriced. I have had this happen many times, on jewelry, gold coins, rarer old coins they have priced to low for the condition etc. If they are the professional, have a store front, and I am just Joe Blow, junior picker, I don't feel it is up to me to point out their error. That is my profit margin. On the other hand if the teenager at McDonalds gives me back change for a $20 when I gave her a ten I will straighten him or her out. I apologize if this is hijacking the thread. The thread just got my juices flowing on what is fair game in my mind and what isn't.

T.`

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I agree completely with CladSpends2 and don't feel anything I said is incompatible with anything he said. My focus was on business transactions, not on tallying change or profiting from the desperate circumstances of others.
To get back to the subject of the thread . . . I wonder how old that necklace is. That looks like it has amethyst beads. Amethyst was once considered as valuable as sapphires or emeralds. Later, large deposits were found, driving the price down. There is still plenty of gold and amethyst jewelry being made, but most of it seems to be gigantic faceted crystals rather than cabochon beads. That might help date it. Just thinking out loud.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I agree completely with CladSpends2 and don't feel anything I said is incompatible with anything he said. My focus was on business transactions, not on tallying change or profiting from the desperate circumstances of others.
To get back to the subject of the thread . . . I wonder how old that necklace is. That looks like it has amethyst beads. Amethyst was once considered as valuable as sapphires or emeralds. Later, large deposits were found, driving the price down. There is still plenty of gold and amethyst jewelry being made, but most of it seems to be gigantic faceted crystals rather than cabochon beads. That might help date it. Just thinking out loud.

Yes, batcap, I was also trying to say I agreed with you............sorry I took such a convoluted route, but wanted to get out all my thoughts.

T.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey...didn't mean to rile anyone up. Also, I did not mean to imply that not returning the items would in anyway be the wrong thing to do.

There are often different way to do the same thing and what the other person does probably works for them.

Happy hunting everyone.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hey...didn't mean to rile anyone up. Also, I did not mean to imply that not returning the items would in anyway be the wrong thing to do.

There are often different way to do the same thing and what the other person does probably works for them.

Happy hunting everyone.

Bill, if you were referring to me, not riled up. What you said was perfectly fine and true. No worries here. I just felt the sudden need to get it all out how I felt on the subject. I have even gone back to a couple of yard sales and given people more money when I found out what I thought was worth $100 bucks was really worth $200. I have split the extra profits with a couple of guys. Good luck to you and sorry if I made a bad impression.

T.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not meant for anyone specific.

I'm about to hot a building sale which is a beautiful building but absolute worst possible part of town. I'm betting not many people will be there.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's the deal. I need a regular supply of high quality merchandise. I think (though could be wrong) that most of the people we deal like actually like us and would rather sell to my company then the guy down the street. A little honesty, while noble unto itself, also goes a long way towards guaranteeing I get the first shot at the fresh merch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions