10 Cool things from this week.

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't able to make it to any sales this week but I did make it to the thrift store. Found some pretty neat things too, all from just 3 visits!

Antique Chinese porcelain seal box. I have been trying to expand into ceramics and this is my first purchased piece. I bought it for $2 and its been fun to research but I haven't confirmed if its a true antique yet.
NH0oHLB.png

Gold plated 925 silver ring with what I think is a large but low quality ruby. Not sure how much its worth but bought it for $3.
bzlbCeg.png

Two pieces of American brilliant cut glass each about 6 inches. $2 for the bowl and $3 for the heart. I love how heavy brilliant period glass is I'm a sucker for it. The heart is in poor condition but the bowl is pristine. I'm glad because I think the bowls the older of the two.
YX2Znnm.png
q3ivOTT.png

7 pieces of Fire king ware in orange lustre color. 1950's. Was priced as a set for $2.99! Awesome deal.
UZrrgTq.png

US Senate glass box. Not sure if it was originally from a senate desk or sold as a souvenir. $0.99 well spent ether way.
BZuUrAm.png

3 pieces of vaseline/uranium glass. Paid $1.99 each. Got them from a fresh batch of goodies that had just been brought out from the back and not yet put on the shelves. The cup is hallmarked as Federal Glass and the design dates it to 1931-35.
Og1qjjG.png

Not an antique but this jewelry display will come in handy for reselling and stuff. $2.99 couldn't pass it up.
ReZXJg6.png

Bought these for $0.50 ($1 half off color tag) because the post and butterfly clutch were stamped 14k. Got home and was about to pull them apart for scrap but luckily at the last second I noticed the tell-tail pattern of elephant ivory. No wonder the posts were gold. Hopefully it came from an elephant that died of old age.
ARDR8yq.png

$1.99 mixed in with the cheap pins. Solid sterling and enamel. Made by Kenart from England. Looks like these sell really well and similar ones sold for $60ish on ebay. All examples I've found were of dogs rather than cats though, maybe its a rare piece? Surprisingly hard to find info on Kenart but I'm guessing its from 1930's or earlier.
IweWi4S.png

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love the senate glass box, great piece for desk or mantel

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the stone on your ring is spiny oyster..
After looking up spiny oyster I can see the resemblance for sure! Its really spot on especially the color. Its my bad for the bad picture though, the stone isn't completely 100% opaque but its close. I probably should have said purple corundum or pink sapphire. Those and ruby are all the same mineral with different colors and clarity determining value. Sadly this stone is pretty poor in both those departments :(.

When in doubt I do my new favorite thing, blast it with UV! Pearls, Shells, mother of pearl, amber and that sort of biological stuff seems to glow a milky greenish to blueish. The stone on the ring gives off a cool red glow like a synthetic ruby I tested, its pretty cool I took some pics

spiny oyster and ring.
B2ESMMU.png
4jwG8AT.png

Natural ruby crystal and ring.
mg6SZAJ.png
SOsWMML.png

Pearls, amber, ivory and shells with synthetic ruby in center under UV light next to ring under UV.
qgvvUiu.png
Y9gOaYm.png

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked for a signature or hallmark etched on the base of that Senate Box? Get out the magnifier and check close. Might be a real good piece.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked for a signature or hallmark etched on the base of that Senate Box? Get out the magnifier and check close. Might be a real good piece.
I actually only gave it a quick look over. Good idea will update in a sec

edit: I cant find a single mark on it. Checked every nook and cranny.

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a Ruby, not pink Sapphire IMO. Either way, it's gorgeous and appears 100% natural and untreated. Very desirable. That's what a lot of them look like prior to treatment.

OP
OP
shofs

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a Ruby, not pink Sapphire IMO. Either way, it's gorgeous and appears 100% natural and untreated. Very desirable. That's what a lot of them look like prior to treatment.
Awesome! That's good to hear :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread