A buck for 5 carbon steel knives

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought these 5 carbon blade knives for $1. the I. Wilson Sheffield England one seems to be pretty darn old & is quite large at 17" total & a 11 3/4" blade. 1 is hammer forged (can't make out name & handle says Shuredge, possibly a Robenson?), 1 is Ontario Knife Co., 1 is an EKCO forged & the last one (the 2nd biggest one at 16 3/4" total & an 11 3/4" blade) I can't read as its to worn. The handle says ******shore grinding (& BTW "*" = I cant make it out).

Anyway a nice bunch of carbon steel vintage knives, any thoughts or comments? Any especially worth keeping or selling?
DSC03847.JPG DSC03849.JPG

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do some investigation on the knife made in Sheffield, I have seen old knives from there sell for a lot of money

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice buy...they are all high quality knives....if there are any reenactors in your area they will be very interested as they can easily be made period correct for their persona....Gary

wotdlois

Aug 12, 2014
NJ
Primary Interest:
Other
Sheffield seems to have been the epicenter of UK knife makers back in the day. I recently purchased a bunch of old knives that all have sheffield england stamped on them. See pics. I have them listed on the bay and havent sold yet and are in a little bit better condition than the ones you posted. I would think sell them as a lot. I am a ex chef and line cooks and chefs etc are always looking for cool old knives to put in their knife roll. If they are cheap, like $1 I always buy them.

IMG_1473.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0919.JPG

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheffield seems to have been the epicenter of UK knife makers back in the day. I recently purchased a bunch of old knives that all have sheffield england stamped on them. See pics. I have them listed on the bay and havent sold yet and are in a little bit better condition than the ones you posted. I would think sell them as a lot. I am a ex chef and line cooks and chefs etc are always looking for cool old knives to put in their knife roll. If they are cheap, like $1 I always buy them.

View attachment 1042846 View attachment 1042847 View attachment 1042848 View attachment 1042849

The big Sheffield one I have seems to be a little special & somewhat dateable because of the 6 pin handle alone. I have been offered $20 for it already from a friend but I see people wanting $160+ online for ones just like it. Tho on eBay most don't go that high, not al all. Most likely late 1800's from what I can tell & it's in really good shape, they are all in good shape compared to some I have boxed away. I have a large collection boxed away somewhere of only vintage carbon steel blade knives so I do know a little about them. I don't mess much with stainless steel blades (I use them but I don't stash them away). I also have one of those knife rolls (well more so a fold up large case) as it doesn't roll up and its bursting at the seams with my stainless steel knives I really like! No Sheffield's in it either..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions